Delta 23-700 - best repurpose?
I have a Delta 23-700 wet grinder with a vertical wheel. I have a lumpy wheel because it was left in the water too long. It's not all that useful as a grinder (at least for me) so I'm thinking about taking it apart and using the motor to run one of the Jack Edgar (Timberwolf) belt sander designs. I'd like to make a 2" sander but the motor is only 1/5 HP. I think most sanders use 1/4 HP. Is the motor too weak?

OK, that was one idea. Got any better ones?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
My sympathies, that machine was an incredible turd, had it, sold it immediately over 20 years ago. I don't see why your plan wouldn't work, give it a go.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Curt, Jack's sander is a smallish strip sander IIRC. I think the difference between a 1/4, and 1/5th hp isn't going to be great enough to matter there. Give it a shot. You can stay low priced with a link belt, and if you can get to a lathe roll your own rollers. All kinds of strip belts out there to source. Either a wood, or metal L channel for a swing arm. Done cheap it won't hardly hurt if it isn't robust enough, but I think it will work.

[Image: 145530.jpg]

[Image: 040395515338_ca.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Thanks guys. All I have to do now is to search my archives for Jack's design. Have no access to a lathe or other metal working gear and no nothing about pulleys, etc. so this could be interesting. Like the Admiral said, it's a lumpy piece of fecal material, Bought when I thought I knew something and knew nothing,

Later .....
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard