What is whitewood
Years ago I bought some white wood. Imported from Finland. Some random pine or spruce type of wood

The only way to recycle left over and mixed paint that has a horrible color is to have the camballa tree clean it up systemically. The veins in the camballa tree are such that they can draw the colored paint up and turn it white (neutral) again. Then the trees are bled for the white pigment and sold as "whitewash". The wood retains the whitish tint and called "white wood".

You wearing boots?
Hyprid Poplar?

"The type of tree they grow at the Boardman (Oregon) tree farm is called Pacific Albus, a trademarked name that loosely means Pacific whitewood."

From here:

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2013/09/boa...nwood.html

Interestingly, they plan on taking the tree farm out over next few years.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index...e_cut.html
Arnie
(10-22-2016, 10:08 PM)daddo Wrote: The only way to recycle left over and mixed paint that has a horrible color is to have the camballa tree clean it up systemically. The veins in the camballa tree are such that they can draw the colored paint up and turn it white (neutral) again. Then the trees are bled for the white pigment and sold as "whitewash". The wood retains the whitish tint and called "white wood".

You wearing boots?

Best answer yet
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(10-22-2016, 09:57 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Whitewood is a trade name for spruce or white pine, generally. 

Its like Red Oak, that can be any one of the 17 species that are categorized as such. Its basically a trade name.

see previous post, it is NOT spruce or white pine!!!
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

If you Google Whitewood, you will see every collective of woodworkers, every forum, simply everybody, is concerned with what it is. I think those saying it's whichever Pine, Spruce, Fir, or whatever that would usually be turned into framing lumber are closest to correct. Of course we could all go to the local BORG, and ask the well informed staff, then report back here to see what knowledge they impart to us
Laugh  
Laugh  
Laugh  
Laugh

If it's straight, weighs what a normal 2x4 weighs, and isn't currently drippin, get some if it's cheap. Worst that could happen is you get some curvey wood about to morph. At my house it always happens 1 week after I bring the perfectly straight boards home. So I try to make sure to glue, hammer, screw, or nail them together before day 5
Big Grin

I think this is your typical "Whitewood" 10 days out of the store.

[Image: DSCN0609.JPG]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(10-22-2016, 10:51 PM)MikeBob Wrote: see previous post, it is NOT spruce or white pine!!!

Well it is if you know what "SPF" designates  on a softwood lumber stamp
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(10-22-2016, 10:51 PM)MikeBob Wrote: see previous post, it is NOT spruce or white pine!!!

You're on a roll tonight. 

I have no idea what I am talking about, you have the Google skills. I guess I just play shop all week and shoot from the hip. 

Rolleyes

Furthermore, right from the Lowes site....

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Top-Choice-Whit...rd/3605312

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I think the only thing you can say for sure it that it's wood, and it's relatively white. Apart from that, all bets are off. 

It can be Fir, hemlock or pine, or a softer hardwood like Tulip poplar or cottonwood. Whatever is cheapest locally at the time I guess.
I think it's mostly pine and doug fir, but you will find some spruce in there occasionally.  I have sorted through it and found some nice qs spruce with relatively tight grain.  That's always in the lowest priced stuff, because it has relatively short pieces that are knot-free.  Never seen anything that looked like poplar, but I'm sure it depends on the area.  Otherwise, I wouldn't touch it.