What is whitewood
Around here they call it "firewood".  
Winkgrin
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh 

Seriously though...my neighbor bought some of that stuff from Finland and i don't see how they can cut and mill that stuff and ship it over here and sell it for what they do...
Whitewood would smell like your SPF if it were SPF.  Let your nose - which knows - be your guide.  Used to be genuine poplars - not tulip - which had no regular market other than pulp around here.  Locals call it "popple" and it smells sort of musty.

The Lowes picture of whitewood certainly shows knots and grain like spruce or balsam fir, but apparently it's whatever tumbled to the ground coming from the kiln.  Caveat emptor
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(10-23-2016, 06:49 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: The Lowes picture of whitewood certainly shows knots and grain like spruce or balsam fir, but apparently it's whatever tumbled to the ground coming from the kiln.  Caveat emptor

Actually, some of their pictures of whitewood look like SYP.  In fact I am seeing the exact same picture, with the knots in exactly the same place, for 1x6, 1x8 and 1x10 whitewood.  I would not put much trust in their pictures.  I pass HD on the way home from work.  I will have to check out their whitewood.  While I often buy "stuff" from HD, I generally don't buy wood there.  I don't even look at their wood any more.  Next week I will test my cringe reflex and look at their wood stock.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(10-22-2016, 10:20 PM)daddo Wrote: The only way to recycle left over and mixed paint that has a horrible color is to have the camballa tree clean it up systemically. The veins in the camballa tree are such that they can draw the colored paint up and turn it white (neutral) again. Then the trees are bled for the white pigment and sold as "whitewash". The wood retains the whitish tint and called "white wood". Wrote:  You wearing boots?

Cecil
Best answer yet
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Cecil nailed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
As others have noted, it is mixed and could be any of a number of wood species. I have found the best use for whitewood is to cut it into 7" - 12"
lengths and split it using a rusty hatchet. It makes very good kindling......
Big Grin
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
PG, the "whitewood" in that pic from Lowes sure looks like what I have always called white pine, knots and all.
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(10-23-2016, 06:45 PM)Steve N Wrote: PG, the "whitewood" in that pic from Lowes sure looks like what I have always called white pine, knots and all.  
Big Grin

Yup.

What do I know though.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(10-23-2016, 07:43 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Yup.

What do I know though.

A lot more than a certain other "expert"
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin I was thinking along that line too.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(10-23-2016, 08:20 AM)Cecil Wrote: Actually, some of their pictures of whitewood look like SYP. 

All common conifers are similar in knot appearance and distribution.  SYP, while possible, is generically a "yellow" pine, rather different from the white woods.   Highly differentiated annuals, too.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.