What oil for worm drive?
Picked up a used worm drive saw. Downloaded manual and it looks like it needs oil.

The oil in it looks good, but never had one of these and not sure what type of oil to use.

Also, the manual suggests that when the oil gets sludgy, to drain and fill with kerosene and run for one minute? Is that the normal way to do it when the time comes?

Thanks
If that is what the manual recommends, then do it.
3-in-1 oil is a universal lube when it comes to motors.
Here is one of the better choices and fairly cheap too:

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-80111-Worm-...l+8011+oil
Doing it right cost less than doing it over
(10-24-2016, 06:42 AM)texaswally Wrote: Here is one of the better choices and fairly cheap too:

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-80111-Worm-...l+8011+oil

this is the proper lube

anything else is not
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Thanks for the replies

Herb, it just made me nervous pouring kerosene into a power tool.
The kerosene is strictly for cleaning purposes. I have seen a guy use it in an old motor in a vehicle he was selling. Then added new oil and filter after the clean out. 
The oil inside the saw is flammable too, so nothing should happen if you run it in short bursts to break down the sludge.
Then dump it. Pour in a bit of fresh stuff and let it sit a bit. Then dump it. Let it drain well and add the lube. I have done this with small engines and compressors in the past.
Works pretty good.
Lee
(10-24-2016, 04:25 PM)johndi Wrote: Thanks for the replies

Herb, it just made me nervous pouring kerosene into a power tool.

Styrooner has it right IMO. Kerosene has solvent and lubricant properties. Put some in, replace the cover or plug, run it a few seconds, remove the plug and dump. Repeat until the kerosene comes out reasonably clean then fill with lube.
(10-24-2016, 06:20 AM)Herb G Wrote: If that is what the manual recommends, then do it.
3-in-1 oil is a universal lube when it comes to motors.

Herb, 3 in 1 oil is not the right grease, yes grease for a worm drive. J Grout and another post have a link to the correct lubricant. Comes in a tube and is actually a grease, not an oil.

mike
(10-25-2016, 01:37 AM)mike4244 Wrote:   Herb, 3 in 1 oil is not the right grease, yes grease for a worm drive. J Grout and another post have a link to the correct lubricant. Comes in a tube and is actually a grease, not an oil.

mike

I didn't realize it was grease. I don't own a worm drive saw so I had no way of knowing. I was thinking of a general lubricant. Think the old electric motors with the little oil cap on them.
Seeing grease advertised when I googled it was the reason I asked here. Manual says oil and I was confused.

Thanks again to all for clarifying.

The combined knowledge of the members here never ceases to amaze me.