Sharpening
I'm looking for advice on a sharpener.  It will be used for both knives and shop tools.  Is there such a sharpener that will do both?  Thanks!
What kind of "shop tools"?  Hand planes?  Chisels?  Jointer or planer knives?  I'm a hand tools guy and I use waterstones on my edge hand tools, but for my knives, I use the Ken Onion Edition Worksharp knife sharpener.  I use a honing guide to hold my blades.  You can spend a lot of money on honing guides, or buy an Eclipse style guide for around $14.  Most any woodworking store or online woodworking store sells sharpening equipment.  Lee Valley is a good source.  They also have powered sharpeners.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
When it comes to sharpening, I'm a dummy... so I bought a full sharpening system, probably the best on the market. Up front, the Tormek T7 is expensive but I can sharpen our expensive kitchen knives, all shop tools (chisels, planes, turning tools [skews, gouges etc.],planer and jointer knives, scrapers and household tools). It doesn't do circular saw blades and I'm not sure if they have drill bit attachment. Cost? yes it's a lot and the jigs are sold separately... but I could start a sharpening business if I wanted to. It is that good.
                    There are knock-offs out there by Jet and others, but none of them stand up to the Tormek. I'm not rich, but I'm glad I scraped up the cash and now I'm a proud owner of the Tormek T7. I don't have a sharpening business but I do sharpen tools for friends etc. And I don't work for Tormek or any company that sells them. I'm a retired Teamster and I'll stand by my Tormek!
A work sharp works great for what I do. It will sharpen planes, chisels, and lathe tools.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

(10-24-2016, 09:18 AM)BillinIN Wrote: I'm looking for advice on a sharpener.  It will be used for both knives and shop tools.  Is there such a sharpener that will do both?  Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Norton-6146368556...ndia+stone

And some practice.  Can handle (nearly) any straight blade, curved blades with outside bevels and kitchen knives (without serrations).

$23 plus a little more for some honing oil of any sort (mineral oil, light machine oil, WD40, kerosene, combinations there-of) and a strop.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I have a worksharp and I would recommend that you not buy it.  The worksharp does not work well on knives, in my opinion.

The worksharp works great on chisels and plane blades and I would highly recommend it for those.  I use a stone, like Bill pointed to, for my knives.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Tormek is the gold standard, IMHO. Chefs buy it for their knives, woodworkers for virtually all edge tools, but pricy, getting one hurt my tool budget a bit but I'd never sell mine. They do come up used from time to time.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
+1 Tormek
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
If you are willing to go for a Tormek, they are almost always excluded from any sales at the usual suspects (Woodcraft, Rockler, etc). That's why you wait for a 30% off and free shipping at the unusual suspect: zoro.com

Zoro.com caters more to machinists than woodworkers. They always have free ship for $50 and more orders, often have 20% off sales, and a few times a year, 30% offs. I suspect Black Friday may be one of those occasions. Get on their mailing list.

cheers,
wm_crash

*usual disclaimer follows: I have no vested interest in Zoro.com
Great input.  Thanks, everyone!