drill throwing tons of sparks
I've got a Milwaukee super hawg drill that is sparking like crazy on at the motor.  I've never seen anything like this,  The whole tool body is lighting up when I run it.  I checked the brushes and both appear fine with lots of life left in them.  I cleaned up the armature with a little bit of 1500 grit sandpaper and it looks like new now.  I can order new brushes, but these ones barely look broken in.  Any suggestions on what I might try to do to fix it?

thanks
I would try new brushes first.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

Does Home Depot near you have a Milwaukee rep in store?  They have them here
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Are the brushes free to move in their holders ? Have seen when brushes stick they barely touch commutator causing excessive sparking. Roly
(10-24-2016, 12:29 PM)paarker Wrote: I would try new brushes first.

Yeppers
Yes Or at least readjustment of the ones in it.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
The brushes can look good but if the brush Springs are weak or as Roly said are not free to move all the way through the hollders they will still arc
I have a Dewalt XRP 18V cordless hammerdrill that has been throwing sparks ever since SWMBO left it out in the rain. Dhe needed to mix paint and I made the mistake of letting her use the best tool that I had for the job.

Does anyone know if the brushes in the XRP cordless drills are replaceable?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
[Image: part_p_225206_2771110052.jpg]

Brush & Holder Assy
Part Number: N031214
In Stock, 1 Available
 $10.99

DeWALT DCD950 Type 1 18V XRP Hammer Drill Parts

listed on eRaplacementparts.com

no association with them and don't know if that's your model..
but they have lots of stuff there and a diagram
thank you.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I had the same thing on a Delta Contractor TS Arced the armature, motor shop said they could smooth it but wont last. I have not pursued it any further then them.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk