Cosman's Wounded Veteran Program
Just a few weeks ago Rob Cosman announced that he was giving free membership in his Hand Tool video classes to wounded veterans. Thought this was an outstanding offer so I signed up.

Then came an e-mail from Rob's organization asking if I wanted to attend a week long Hand Tool class, all expenses paid!

Of course I wanted to just say yes, but reality set in and I wrote back with a list of caveats, which I won't list here, but included needing a caregiver travel with me and being in a wheelchair for general locomotion. They could easily send 2 other veterans in my place and I completely understood, even supported that type of response.....

To my surprise the next day Rob himself called and asked if I wanted to attend the class, I paused for a moment and then asked if he had read my email, he said yes and that the offer included travel, food, and accommodations for me and my caregiver!

That was a very humbling experience, it's very hard to accept an offer like that when you know there are many others who deserve it as much or more than you do.

I accepted, very apprehensive about being able to just attend the class, much less complete the required tasks. Travel is difficult for me, and this class will be very, very tough, so those of you that pray, remember me if you will.....

Rob has 6 other veterans going, also all expenses paid, and is now raising funds to purchase tools for the ones that don't have them, it's quite a list of tools. My understanding is that he is also donating his saw sale revenues towards tool purchases for wounded veterans, and of course soliciting donations.

This whole thing is just amazing to me, Rob is obviously putting a lot of his time and resources into making this happen, and opening it up to U.S. Veterans is really above and beyond.

Their are many other U.S. Veteran charities with HUGE RESOURCES at their disposal that do much less....

If any of you are involved in these efforts, Rob has said he has several donors, then my sincere heartfelt thanks.

Hope this effort continues and all that want to attend get the opportunity to do so.

BTW. Believe that Rob and his team is also offering to help wounded veterans that want to take his free video courses with hand tool purchases. My understanding is that they just need to make a request via his website. I don't know much about the specifics and I'm sure funds are limited, but anything is better than nothing.

I'm sure there are some other wounded veterans that understand how hard this was to accept, it's both mentally and physically challenging. Even the act of writing about it brings on feelings of guilt because others are not getting the same treatment or opportunities....

However my intent is to motivate other wounded veterans to put their apprehensions aside, embrace their abilities, work on overcoming or circumventing their disabilities and get involved in some kind of hobby... I call it "distraction therapy".

Regards,
Andy
Mos Maiorum
Thanks Andy

And goodonya Rob!

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Hello Andy;

I imagine quite a few of us are reading this and are having a difficult time coming up with some words appropriate to your situation.  Your first thread on this subject was certainly captivating.  Of course, we all thank you for your service!  And we also thank Rob for his follow-thru on such a wonderful idea!

But the next words to follow are hard to come by, speechless is the term I believe.

Reading your post, all I can say is that this must be Veteran's Day.... in fact, every day must be Veteran's Day.... 

All the best from all of us...
Skip