Making Solid Oak Book Shelves
I agree with Paul ^.  Maximum length for unsupported book shelf is 36". I try to keep them to 30" or less.

For this application, I would suggest 1/2" plywood laminated together giving a 1" thick shelf.  Then apply a 1 1/4" thick solid oak rabbeted edge.

Depending on what the load will be, even with this you may want to consider more support.  A middle support or another edge strip on the back will help.
I agree with Paul too. The first thing I thought whin I read the original post was that 48" shelves are going to sag, even oak ones. If you want the look of wide shelves, you can add vertical support members that almost disappear when the shelves are filled with books. I'd use 3/8 or 1/2" pieces that are 1" narrower than the shelves. Slide them into shallow stopped dados in the shelves to keep them in place and flush them with the shelves at the back. They will take the load at the center of the shelves and prevent the shelves from sagging. Because they don't extend all the way to the front edge of the shelves, you'll hardly notice them with books In place.
My $.02.
Hank
LIL

Here's an oldie but goodie...The Sagulator

Computes amount of sag based on inputs of material/species, dimensions, load, edging, etc.

Sagulator