transitional planes
(10-25-2016, 07:15 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: But isn't that true of traditional woodie planes as well?  And there are plenty of folks who swear by woodies.

Hi Bill; No my woodies all have some (varies from maker to maker) hardwood sole on them that wears well if not run over a knot.  I have several coffin smoothers from different makers and they perform better than most ordinary (not hi end) metal smoothers.  As long as I only use them for smoothing on clear wood, the bottoms wear well.  And I paid $17.95 for each of them. 

The transitionals start off very well but wear easily, they don't have a separate hardwood sole.  Each time they get a serious nick in the sole - and you plane it smooth - the throat gets wider.  Eventually it's too wide even for a jack and that is very wide.  The fix is not difficult tho to put your own sole on it, and you would be hard pressed to buy their blade and chipbreaker at that price....  sometimes as low as $5 or $10 for whole thing.  Or free from the OP.

Why bother?  Well other than to make use of a good blade/chipbreaker cheaply... they are 1/2 the weight of a metal jack or fore plane.  Very similar to the weight difference between a traditional woody and a metal plane.  Important to some old guys like me...
Skip

Transitional planes are simply one more opportunity to explore and experience something in life................
I'll give a +1 for transitional planes. I have a jack plane size, maybe #26, and I use it for a fore plane. I put a heavy camber on the blade, and with the extra wide mouth, it works great for the first step in flattening a board. And since this step is often the most labor intensive, the relative light weight and that smooth "wood on wood'' action makes it a good option for rough work. Using it for rough work also means that you don't have to get it perfectly tuned.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
(10-25-2016, 01:53 PM)EricU Wrote: should I just get rid of them?  Thinning the herd anyway, I've never tried to plane with these things.  Fine Woodworking had a picture of a tea caddy made with one.

I've had a few and tossed 'em. There are some rare one's though so check this out:
Transitional planes work wonderfully well in the hands of someone skilled enough to bring out their best.
Zachary Dillinger
https://www.amazon.com/author/zdillinger

Author of "On Woodworking: Notes from a Lifetime at the Bench" and "With Saw, Plane and Chisel: Making Historic American Furniture With Hand Tools", 

if you don't want them, hang them on the shop walls as decoration.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I think I'll keep them until I make my fake Studly knock-off toolbox.