transitional planes
should I just get rid of them?  Thinning the herd anyway, I've never tried to plane with these things.  Fine Woodworking had a picture of a tea caddy made with one.
Mmmmm, well they make great jack planes where an open mouth is not a problem, until the bottom has been flattened so much the mouth is huge.  The fix is to glue on a hardwood sole and start over.  Won't get much to sell them, but they don't cost much to buy...  Some very good blades in them occasionally...
Skip

If you're really going to pitch them, check to see how many you can fit in a large flat rate box and put them in the S&S for $5 plus shipping, the $5 to cover the gas and time waiting at the PO to ship them.  They will go in a heartbeat.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Why don't you tune one up and have a go at it? You might like it.

carl
Transitional planes: They were good enough for H.O. Studley.. they are good enough for you.

Josh
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

(10-25-2016, 02:05 PM)Skip J. Wrote: Mmmmm, well they make great jack planes where an open mouth is not a problem, until the bottom has been flattened so much the mouth is huge.

But isn't that true of traditional woodie planes as well?  And there are plenty of folks who swear by woodies.
(10-25-2016, 03:35 PM)JClark Wrote: Transitional planes: They were good enough for H.O. Studley.. they are good enough for you.

Josh

he spent his whole career making that overcrowded toolbox, not impressed. But really, I'm sure he was more skilled than I will ever be.  Gotta pick my battles.

Maybe I'll sharpen the blades and try them out before I get rid of them.  I have also been thinking about getting rid of my wood planes.  Too much stuff in too little space for things I am reluctant to learn how to use.
Eric:

If you want to dispose of your wooden planes let me know, I have been wanting to try the conversion from steel to wood....

Regards,
Andy
Mos Maiorum

-- mos maiorum
(10-25-2016, 07:15 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: But isn't that true of traditional woodie planes as well?  And there are plenty of folks who swear by woodies.

You can put a new throat in your transitional after the sole is straight.  IF it needs it.  Not on a Jack, but I have one on my jointer.  It works fine with a piece of maple in a mortise.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I was playing with the #3 sized plane last night and couldn't figure out how to make it work.  Maybe somethings missing, couldn't tell. Interesting blade adjustment.