Builder cheaped out
Trying to help a guy out. Newer house, cheap builder. Vinyl siding, aluminum trim. The trim around the garage doors looks like wrapped 2 x 4's but no 2 x 4's. Homeowner mounted a flag pole mount, and of course it failed. I am thinking I will open the trim up from the front just past the damaged area and insert a wooden block. Then cover the repair with a piece of poly wood. My concern is that the cut edges of the poly will not have the smooth factory finish. Of course this is white.

I could fab a piece of coil stock and fold the edges over

Any thoughts? Yes, the proper fux is remove the trim, put the missing stud in and make a new trim piece, but that is not a cost effective option

if you don't want to fix it correctly why bother?
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Bob- I fully understand your question. I have done one small job for this guy, talked to him a couple of times. I am convinced that if I quote the price to "do it right" he will say no. I certainly will discuss the pros and cons, and let him make the final decision.

The thing is if you do it half assed the next guy will see it or point it out and it will have your name on it.
In the early 2000's I worked for some really wealthy people and a good deal of the work done on the home was questionable
and I was called to repair much of it.  When the tradesmen that did the various jobs came back to bid on remodel work I walked through asking about 
the work already performed all with the exception of a framing contractor were sent  packing and the bad work stuck to them in the area
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Bob has a good point.  And a run-on sentence.  Bid it the right way and be happy if you get the job or if you don't.
The only thing I have to sell is quality. There is always someone who will throw it together cheaper.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.