What is it about the 4 1/2 smoother?
I often go into eBay to check out what hand tools are selling at, and I am just amazed how much buyers are paying for the 4 1/2 bench plane.  I was watching a bidding war go on, and with an hour left, it was at $65, and by the time it ended, it sold for over $200!! This plane seems to catch the attention of a lot of wood workers.  I tried a 4 1/2 once, and I honestly didn't notice much of a difference to that of my #4 smoother, which is my main plane for smoothing.  Just curious why this plane seems to be in hot demand. Apparently, there must not be a lot available, which I'm sure is driving up the prices, but is the plane that much of an upgrade to the #4 or even the #3 for smaller work?  I wish I had a few to sell
Smile  because they are definitely in hot demand.     

Scott
I have a Record that I've never used.  I agree, it's a weird plane.  I think you'd want a longer sole on a plane that wide. I suppose with a cambered blade, wider would probably be better
Well, the #4 1/2 is simply a wider smoother but has significantly increased mass (about a pound more, and even more with the Wartime T17 versions having thicker castings), which is always good. As far as length, its a tad longer, somewhere around an inch or so IIRC, but you don't want it any longer as its a smoother. I have mine set up for really fine shavings and use it as a final smoother.  Price is higher as there were literally millions more #4 and #3 planes made, and they fit the bill for most "carpenters" as opposed to cabinetmakers/furniture makers where its usefulness (IMHO) exceeds that of the "regular" #4.  Do you need one?  No.  Nice to have, yes, at least for me. 

I don't see them much in the wild, maybe every 4 months or so; just passed on one this past weekend, but it was cobbled together and sandblasted with a lousy repaint job, a T17 with a wrong tote, wrong iron, and wrong replacement secondary screw on the tote (which likely buggered the threads in the casting), a great example of someone trying to cash in on the panache of the 4 1/2 starting with a total rustbucket.  I wouldn't own it myself - so I won't buy it to sell to someone else.

(10-26-2016, 08:47 AM)EricU Wrote: I have a Record that I've never used.  I agree, it's a weird plane.  I think you'd want a longer sole on a plane that wide. I suppose with a cambered blade, wider would probably be better

Eric:  Record made a great 4 1/2, a bit heavier than the Stanley version, about what a wartime Stanley weighs.  Sharpen it up and try it out, lightly camber the edges (just a couple of passes on the stones), tune the chipbreaker mating surface (Record wasn't too good about that in the examples I've seen) and set it for fine work.  I bet you'll like it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
For people with big hands, the 4 1/2 fits them better....

I like the mass, and the extra width is great, have a L N that is one of my go to smoothers. Think that Stanley also made one called a "Heavy", I'm sure somebody here will have one.....

Regards,
Andy
Mos Maiorum

-- mos maiorum
For some like myself, its a go to smoother. Its heavier and wider, more like an English infill plane.  There is a reason people bid them up. I have several 4 1/2s from different makers but only one 4.
I gave up looking for one in the wild. The only one I found was a newer English Stanley,yellow "Stanley", instead I bought a new Veritas.
A man of foolish pursuits
I bought mine off of eBay after not finding a decent one locally. It was no where near $200. I like the way it feels while using a little more than I did my 4. I also have a 3 size Miller's Falls, so I gave my 4 to a new wood worker. The plane doesn't do a better job than my 4 did, so I wouldn't recommend to anybody that they spend big money on one. They come up I'm the s and s every once in a while for what seem like reasonable prices.
I have set up a LN #4 1/2 and a Veritas BU smoother to take very fine shavings when planing panels.

My go-to smoothers are either a Veritas Custom #4 (42 degree frog) or a LN #3 (45 degree frog). These planes are excellent with interlocked grain. However, with a slight camber, they still would leave an uneven surface. The #4 1/2 and the BUS have wider blades, and with a very fine camber - just enough to prevent tracks - they will leave a flatter finish on a wider surface.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
My smoother is a 4 1/2, and I love it. Don't hate me for this, but my wife found it at a local rummage sale; it was covered in rust and priced at $2.50. I've since put a Veritas PM-V11 blade and chipbreaker into it, so now I've got $77.50 in the plane.

I do use a slight camber on it, and I agree with Derek that it leaves a nice, flat surface on a wide surface.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I picked up one on the S & S here for something like $75 with a replacment Lee Valley iron (not sure what variety). A steal by any measure. I've not found a ton of use for it, but with it's extra width and heft it definitely has use beyond a standard #4. The iron came with a more pronounced camber that it should have and I've not taken the time to reestablish a new cutting edge.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/