Holdfast question
How much variability is acceptable in the size of holdfasts ?   If I have one holdfast that's 1 inch in diameter and another that's  1 1/10 inch , can I get them both to work in the same holes, or not? (These are hand forged hold fasts.) My bench is 3 inches thick.
I'm not sure, but think that 1/8" is too much of a gap.  I would drill a hole to fit the larger one in a scrap and see what happens.

If it were me, I would try to use a bench grinder or belt sander to reduce the thickness of the thicker one.  Small parts fall into 3/4" holes constantly.  I can't imagine what it would be like with holes that large.

Steve
With thousands (tens of 000s?) of 3/4" holdfasts used out there for decades, I have yet to see any large-scale empirical evidence that justifies the use of the 1" version. Not to mention that most other bench aids are for 3/4" holes. As for the OP's question about the minor difference in the shafts, I doubt it would be a fatal concern as the holes are made out of wood and not steel which as much less tolerance.

Simon
(10-26-2016, 07:53 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: With thousands (tens of 000s?) of 3/4" holdfasts used out there for decades, I have yet to see any large-scale empirical evidence that justifies the use of the 1" version.

Unless your bench already has 1" holes in it . .
Laugh  . . I have a Sjobergs bench which comes with 1" holes and had to have my holdfasts custom made as the Sjobergs holdfasts, well, frankly, just suck.  One thing about 1" holes is that the bench dogs are incredibly stout.  Whether a 1/4" difference from the 3/4 standard makes any difference, you got me.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have noticed, however, that Chris Schwarz has argued that 1" holdfasts work better and are the historical standard.
Do I hear a second for 1-1/8"?   "You see, our amps go to 11......they're one louder."  (Spinal Tap)
Raised
(10-27-2016, 07:20 PM)DMike Brady Wrote: Do I hear a second for 1-1/8"?   "You see, our amps go to 11......they're one louder."  (Spinal Tap)
Raised

1", 1 1/8", whatever it takes . . . . . .

(10-27-2016, 06:53 PM)overland Wrote: I have noticed, however, that Chris Schwarz has argued that 1" holdfasts work better and are the historical standard.

LOL, well at $135 each, they have to work a whole, whole lot better. I never thought I'd ever see a "bespoke" holdfast!  To each his (or her) own.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis