Bench Dog hand planes?
Rockler ad for #4 and a 60 1/2 arrived today. No information found on internet.  Printed ad states the #4 weighs 7.6 pounds. I am assuming that is a mistake.

Any idea what these are?
It appears it's for real.  Maybe it's an exclusive offering through Rockler.  I couldn't find it on the Bench Dog website either.  It does not appear to be a clone of the WoodRiver / Quangsheng hand plane.  They also don't say what alloy the blade is made from.  It's $15 cheaper than a WoodRiver No. 4, so my guess is it's Chinese as well.  There's also a Bench Dog 60-1/2 low angle block.  At 5.7 lbs, it's 0.7 lbs heavier than the WR equivalent, and 1.7 lbs more than a bronze LN No. 4.  The sole is 1/2" longer than a LN No. 4.  Maybe that's where the extra weight comes from.  It will be interesting to read any reviews that show up about it.

http://www.rockler.com/bench-dog-tools-4...aQodZxgLGg
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Weight likely includes the included wooden box, i.e. shipping weight.
Saw the ad also and they were described as "limited edition".
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
There's also a low-angle block plane.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
It's like Rider?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-rid...s-scrapers
Ciao e grazie, Leo.
Chinese manufacture; I'd assume Rockler would stand behind it if there were any issues with the tool; likely ok, but expect lesser fit and finish than LV or LN; I've not fondled one so I'm just guessing.  But my grandmother once told me "cheap is cheap" and until I've seen one, I'll remain cautious, not that I personally need, or particularly want, another #4 at retail.  Somebody take the plunge and let us know!!!  
Wink
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-27-2016, 05:45 PM)mumu Wrote: It's like Rider?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-rid...s-scrapers

Not the same.  Look at the castings and the chip breakers.  The Bench Dog casting has a lip on the leading edge.  The Axminster casting lacks the lip.  The chipbreaker on the Bench Dog is squared at the top and rounded on the Axminster.  There's an exposed brass screw on the front of the tote on the Axminster.  None on the Bench Dog.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I saw these today at their new store here (Illinois).  Bench Dog is a name owned by Rockler, so they have used that identification to separate the product from all of the blue plastic Rockler stuff. They're just another LN knockoff from China.  Rockler doesn't know much about things that don't have a cord, but they had the block plane and No.4 size out on display, so I'm not sure you can try them.  Our Woodcraft has no demo Wood River planes either, but they do have Rob Cosman come periodically to show them. The block plane seemed too heavy and clunky to use with one hand.  The wood handles on the smoother were a dark burl of some kind.
(10-28-2016, 01:48 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: They're just another LN knockoff from China.

And LN is a knockoff from Stanley.  A big improvement over Stanley.  Just from looking at the pics, the fit and finish doesn't look as good as LN.  What was your impression?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill