New bathtub
(10-27-2016, 05:37 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I just put in an American Standard Cambridge 16x32x17-3/4 tub in the guest bath. We like a deep tub so it narrows the field a little. The price was reasonable for a steel/porcelain tub.

It looks nice and went in as any tub would. It does have a very slight bow in the front and I was using 12" x 24" tiles so cutting was a little tricky but all in all it looks fine.

My only caution is that the top, of the front of the tub is a little narrow. Maybe because it's such a tall tub but the shower door I ordered is a little wide so I couldn't caulk the inside edge to the tub. Does that make sense? I This particular door has three fins that touch the tub so I was still able to seal two but if it were a cheaper door with only two fins touching the tub, I wouldn't get a good seat or seal on it. So read the specs and shop for doors accordingly.

Cambridge
[/url]
[url=http://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Standard-Cambridge-5-ft-x-32-in-Left-Drain-Soaking-Tub-in-White-2460-002-020/100086755]
Sorry about the lousy cell phone pic

[Image: 20161027_182802_zpsfl9uqrjj.jpg]

I am a bit surprised about the door track width and the top top. Most tracks are about 2" wide and tub apron tops 3"+. Unless I am not reading your post correctly, or you misdiscribed.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

[Image: tub_zpsykl88nnc.png]

These are the dimensions. It comes in whirlpool and non whirlpool. Mine isn't the whirlpool model. Do you see the 2-1/2" dimension at the apron top on the front of the tub? That dimension is correct but it doesn't take into consideration the radius at the front edges. The actual flat area at the center of the apron top is 1-7/8", not 2-1/2". My shower door track is 2". So, I have 1/8 of an inch of the track hanging over the inside of the tub with no caulk because it doesn't hit the tub. I could caulk it but it would look like crap. It is caulked everywhere it is touching the apron. The track does screw to the tub in the center so it's not going anywhere. I made sure the area around the screws is gooped up well with silicon caulk so the tub holes don't rust out. It's a deceiving diagram. I'm sure that I'm the only one who will notice but it still not the way I'd rather do it and I like the door enough where I didn't want to send it back.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I never had that problem, but that is how I would have handled it. Live and learn for me.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

I have thought about getting re-finished in place but as of now, there is rust showing through the finish and according to my local respected re-finishing guy, because of that, he will not provide a warranty.
Also depending on install darn near impossible to check the old drains with the tub in place.  So in the off chance the finish lasts 20 years there is a good chance the drain will fail

good idea if you are selling the place, tight on funds or in a rental and want a fast turn around but not something I would do in a house I planned on living in long term unless I was looking at a temporary fix
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Do they put sound deadener or insulation on the underside of steel tubs?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
styrofoam
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(10-28-2016, 11:28 AM)Cooler Wrote: Do they put sound deadener or insulation on the underside of steel tubs?

The one I just purchased had a product on it that reminded me of undercoating on a car. Looked to be sprayed on rubber like substance.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS