Garage Door Opener Chain Connection
Don't know what to title this. Anywho -

So someone asked me to look at their motorized garage door tracking system.
The issue is where the chain meets the garage door header.
There is a piece of 2x6 that the chain track fastens to at the very end of the track.

As the garage door terminates at/near the ground
the bar (that connects the chain to the door) is pushing downward
which results in lifting the track to the chain
which results in some flexing of that 2x6.

It's more of a pivot to where the bottom of the 2x6 pulls outward - maybe an inch at the worst -
while the top of the 2x6 acts as the fulcrum and doesn't move much at all.

My first thought is to just bolt that 2x6 to the wall so that it doesn't do this pivot/lifting action.
But then I realized that the force is still there and if I bolt that 2x6 too tightly the force will go somewhere else and it might cause other issues to the chain track or the entire system over time.

So, if you are following what I'm referring to, should that 2x6 be allowed to flex as a way of dispersing the force as the door terminates?
Or will firmly bolting it in place not likely have any effect?

There's nothing else obviously wrong with the door or tracking system.
The door operates smoothly.

Thanks in advance for your advice and shared experience.

Ray
Ray
Not quite sure how that 2x6 is mounted, a picture will help.

However, you need to slightly reduce the down-travel of the shuttle. There should be an adjustment for that. You want enough downforce to get the door down, but not so much you force the track up. It should be a 5 minute fix.

The 2x6, assuming it is attached to the door opening header, should be rigid.

Also note that doors need reinforcement at the bar attach point. Some have it from the factory, some need added reinforcement, usually a piece of that perforated angle material.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
That 2x6 pivots out just before the door terminates at the ground and then moves back into place.
I'm not sure how the 2x6 is attached to the header. I didn't get up the too take a close look yet.
My guess is that it's held in place with a few nails towards the top.
The bar attach point on the door seems to be fine with no movement.

This very rough sketch I just drew portrays a cross section of the track, header, and 2x6.
The lower sketch indicates what is happening as the door nears the termination point.
The motion of the 2x6 is a little exaggerated.
I did not see any such motion while it the door was being raised.

[Image: 8BgvFB41CcmeITv6h1uKxjW1gBjn0j5t8QhVUEyI...04-h896-no]
Ray
Add a couple of deck screws to the cleat.

Nothing else necessary unless you are flexing the top of the door appreciably.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Thanks!
Ray