Finish pre or post assembly
Building kitchen cabs soon. I have an new Earlex 5500 HVLP, that I wont use until next spring at the earliest (outdoors). Are there any decent books/videos (and of course woodnet fo1k) that describe the ins and outs of when to finish?
For example: Drawers, complete the drawer, but don't attach the face, spray each individually as box gets shellac only, front gets garnet shellac then top coat. Assemble when cured.
I hope to collect data and devise a strategy so that I can start milling.
Smile
I'll spray drawers, especially deeper ones, before putting the bottoms on.
No blowback.
I slide the bottoms in a groove from the back of the drawer so I spray the boxes and bottoms separate, them slide the bottoms in and staple along the back.
And yea I do the fronts separate.
No advice for the finish pre or post - I'm sure others will chime in plenty on that.

However, on the Earlex, you'll notice that the air intake is on the bottom of the unit.  That is the same air that is pushed out through the gun nozzle and onto your project.  It has a very near useless thin foam filter.  Doesn't take much to suck dust (especially if you're not in a very clean environment) into your spray.  

I bought a HEPA filter from Home Depot (about 8" x 6" x 2") and taped it to the bottom of the Earlex.  Then I bought a small dolly from Harbor Freight.  The unit sits on the dolly and I can pull it around easily.

HTH,

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Joel, wish I had thought of that.  Good idea!!!!!!!!!!!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Never too late Bill - unless you don't have it anymore. :-)
I put one coat of finish on the edges of door panels.  The expansion and contraction of the wood can expose unfinished edges.  On white colored cabinets I've seen in stores you can see the unfinished perimeter at certain times of the year.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.