Hammer and Anvil
OK, so I haven't started a thread here in a long time and this one isn't really going to be a hand tool thread, but bear with me.  You're the right guys to answer this.

My new son-in-law is a high school music director.  He's going to be directing a song where they'll be using a hammer and anvil to get a specific percussion sound.  He's got a line on an anvil, but I'm worried that some kid is going to use a hammer that might shatter and get somebody hurt.  I need suggestions to help him get an appropriate type hammer.

His bands are exceptionally good, but that's beside the point.  The symphonic winds band won Superstate in Illinois last year and his jazz bands have won state for 10 years running.  He was able to nominate 12 kids for the music educator's association jazz bands and 11 of them made it to the highest of four jazz bands.  A jazz band has about 20 members, so his kids are dominating the competition.  One of the kids was named to the elite jazz combo where only two saxophonists can participate.  

I'm really excited for him.  He knows nothing about tools, though.  I literally had to learn to teach him how to use a hand drill a few months back, but he helped me make a table to hold percussion instruments for his band.  We used all power tools, but he used a bandsaw, drill press, and a power router.  Didn't get any pictures, though.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions on this.  I don't want a kid to get hurt using the wrong hammer.

Blaine
How big an anvil?  Unless he's looking for a 2 handed "ring the bell" strike, I can't see a steel hammer shattering. A handle break and the head fly maybe.   A real haymaker with a heavy hammer could easily break a small cheap cast iron anvil.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

How about a Warrington Pattern hammer?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(10-29-2016, 05:38 PM)Blaine Wrote: OK, so I haven't started a thread here in a long time and this one isn't really going to be a hand tool thread, but bear with me.  You're the right guys to answer this.

My new son-in-law is a high school music director.  He's going to be directing a song where they'll be using a hammer and anvil to get a specific percussion sound.  He's got a line on an anvil, but I'm worried that some kid is going to use a hammer that might shatter and get somebody hurt.  I need suggestions to help him get an appropriate type hammer.

His bands are exceptionally good, but that's beside the point.  The symphonic winds band won Superstate in Illinois last year and his jazz bands have won state for 10 years running.  He was able to nominate 12 kids for the music educator's association jazz bands and 11 of them made it to the highest of four jazz bands.  A jazz band has about 20 members, so his kids are dominating the competition.  One of the kids was named to the elite jazz combo where only two saxophonists can participate.  

I'm really excited for him.  He knows nothing about tools, though.  I literally had to learn to teach him how to use a hand drill a few months back, but he helped me make a table to hold percussion instruments for his band.  We used all power tools, but he used a bandsaw, drill press, and a power router.  Didn't get any pictures, though.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions on this.  I don't want a kid to get hurt using the wrong hammer.

Blaine

Never hit an anvil with a hammer ... you will chip with anvil!!!

Red
(10-29-2016, 08:34 PM)cputnam Wrote: How about a Warrington Pattern hammer?

I'm pretty sure he's going to want something bigger.  The "ring" sound is going to have to stand out over the other 70 or so instruments.

Are there reasonably priced blacksmith hammers out there?  Would they be made for this, wouldn't they?  I don't need new by any means.

Blaine
I repair musical instruments for a living.  Many band rooms have an old brake drum on a stand for this very sound.  You can use a brass mallet and not worry about damaging either.
The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced that although its a very, very creative idea (i.e., like the cannons being shot off during the 1812 Overture), it is fundamentally flawed.  I really can't see being able to produce a sound that carries over many other instruments without really whacking the heck out of a really, really large vintage anvil, which as noted above, can chip the anvil much less shatter a hammer.  Plus having a youngster wailing away doing this - sounds like a recipe for something bad happening.  He might be better off with a piece of heavy 1/4" or better steel plate hung like a dampened gong, or something like that, and try and get close to the anvil sound.  I can see why he would prefer a true anvil sound, but this may just be a music director's brain fart of an idea.  An anvil is just not a musical instrument.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
The brake drum sounds reasonable, although, being cast, I have to wonder if they do not pose some sort of risk too.

I would be inclined to try a steel wheel.  Dually wheels have a rough bell shape.  Might be worth a try.

And for the hammer, give him a single jack.  Those are intended for use on steel all day long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZN01_pAxro

skip to about 1.16
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Il Trovatore is actually the song they're going to be playing.  
Yes

I think the brass hammer is a good idea and might look into it.

As for the 1812 Overture and a cannon, I made one for him to use when he conducted the Illinois Middle School Honor band at University of Illinois last summer.  

Blaine