Lesson from TheCabinetmaker
I'm wrapping up the remodel of an upstairs bathroom where I've installed new vinyl flooring. I found this flooring at a closeout and had only the required snap-together pieces to complete the job, so I was acutly aware of the need to be especially careful. Though I measured three times - carefully - I still cut too deeply into the floor area of the tile.

Here's one side at the doorway:

[Image: DSCN3074.jpg]

I had some idea on a possible means of disguising this mistake and mentioned it to Charles, TheCabinetmaker. I'm fortunate to have him as a friend and we talk frequently about various interest items in woodworking. Charles is a gifted woodworker and is active in several groups, both here in central Ohio and nationally.

Charles has a philosophy about mistakes in woodworking - if you make a mistake, find a way for the corrective action to appear as a design element!

Well, I trimmed of the bottom of the door facing so that 1/4" thick material would slide under it, selected a nice piece of maple to fit outside-to-outside of the door facing, and be wide enough to function as a threshold and also cover the miscuts in the tile - never liked that aluminum trim - and finish the maple to closely match the wood floor, which is natural beech. Two coats of amber shellac - diluted 50%, and three coats of wipe-on poly - and it fitted in there like a glove - Mama is as happy as a pig in slop!

[Image: DSCN3085.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3084.jpg]

Thanks Charles,

r2
As a tile installer and many bathrooms. I would say that looks great!!! A tile to wood but joint, other then some grout looks unfinshed.
Plus it you cant get a perfect match, dont even try, as you did, a design thing.
Thats how I would have handled it.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Lemonade all the way. Very nice job.
Looks great. Better than if "properly done". Here's a trick I picked up somewhere along the way. Lay some loose flooring right next to the door frame. Then you use a small flush cut saw to trim off the bottom of the door frame. Then the flooring just slides right underneath without having to trim the flooring at all.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Nice save!  Thanks for the post.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
excellent way to cover it!

"Charles has a philosophy about mistakes in woodworking - if you make a mistake, find a way for the corrective action to appear as a design element!"

i read an interview with sam maloof quite a few years ago. i don't think ive read anyone have a negative comment on his craftsmanship.
anyways, the interviewer asked sam if he ever made any mistakes as his work is so beautiful.
his reply:" every single piece ive made i have made a mistake on- some big and some small. craftsmanship comes in by taking that mistake and incorporating it into the piece so it looks like it was meant to be."
Great job. The mark of a true craftsman.
I had a Woodworking Teacher in college who always used to say "wood is forgiving".
Ain't many things a pretty piece 'o wood can't fix.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure