Stuck dial indicator
I have a linear gauge from Grizzy that I've only used a couple of times. I never had a problem with it before, and it's been in the case for years. I pulled it out to check my TS fence alignment, and the plunger sticks -- stays wherever you leave it. It takes a fair amount of finger pressure to move it. There's no intentional lock mechanism on it that I can see. The back comes off easily, so I looked inside. I don't see anything broken or bent. No corrosion or anything like that.

Any chance I can get it operating smoothly again?

Thanks all.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
The only lock is the knurl for the dial face. I have not had a plunger stick, try  WD-40 on the plunger. If that frees up the plunger then a drop of 3-in-1 oil should work.When you put it back in the case add a small bag of the stuff used in some medicine bottles to keep the product dry.A pharmacy may have it.Is it possible the plunger is bent? If so ,discard it.Unless you paid a lot of money the DI isn't worth fixing.
mike
You have a broken plastic guide track that the guide pin for the plunger travels in.  When a piece of the guide block breaks off, it allows the plunger to rotate and the plunger guide pin gets hung up enough so that the plunger will not return.  Throw it away and buy a new one.  

I have had two or three of the cheap indicators do this, and I no longer buy any of the Chinese made gauges as they don't hold up, even with light use.

Greg
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
(10-30-2016, 03:52 PM)gregr Wrote: You have a broken plastic guide track that the guide pin for the plunger travels in.  When a piece of the guide block breaks off, it allows the plunger to rotate and the plunger guide pin gets hung up enough so that the plunger will not return.  Throw it away and buy a new one.  

I have had two or three of the cheap indicators do this, and I no longer buy any of the Chinese made gauges as they don't hold up, even with light use.

Greg
Thanks! I was looking at that plastic thing, kinda wondering about that. It does look a little hacked up. Bet you are right.

Edit: It's not the plastic guide. It's also not the rack/pinion. I eliminated some possibilities by taking parts off. I think the plunger itself is sticking, maybe a little dirt, or burr, or a minuscule bend. Dunno. Tried cleaning and oiling it. No go.

Trash bin I guess.

Now all I need is a friend with a Starrett problem.
Big Grin
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Before you trash it, just a light tap....................

[Image: e2c376b4-4c83-433a-9f76-428285cdc672_600.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Don't force it, use a bigger hammer!!!
Doing it right cost less than doing it over
Thanks you guys, done. 8 pound persuader. Ignore any loud smashing tapping noises you might have heard....
Best,
Aram, always learning

Did it at least make you smile???

If it did mission accomplished, nothing worse than a tool giving you a hard time, especially a new, hardly used one....
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Try a little transmission oil on the plunger. They can get sticky especially around coolant.

Tom