Upgrade to a Nova DVR XP?
(11-02-2016, 04:39 AM)Billbo Wrote: BTW: I love the picture of the shavings bucket next to the lathe. 
Smile

Cheers . . . .

Billbo
Smyrna, GA

All external bowl work is done so that the shavings fall into the bucket.  Great back saver.  If I could figure out how to do it for the inside, I'd be ecstatic.  The table extends behind and butts into the wall, but I still have to grab the handfuls.  When the bucket's full, I do a St. Nick up the stairs and out.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...g-View.jpg
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(11-02-2016, 04:39 AM)Billbo Wrote: I wonder about the reliability of the electronics (2 year warranty on electronics vs. 5 year on everything from Jet, etc.)
I guess everything in life is a crapshoot.

Billbo
Smyrna, GA

My day job is as a reliability engineer.  If electronics don't fail in the first 6 months, there's a strong likelihood they'll last a very long time.  Keep your switches clean and you'll enjoy years of trouble free turning.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
The problem with the DVR-3000 is Teknatool changed the design on the bed and current things like the bed-extensions would not work. I also think the design change also means the off-board attachment would not work.
(11-02-2016, 12:30 PM)AHill Wrote: My day job is as a reliability engineer.  If electronics don't fail in the first 6 months, there's a strong likelihood they'll last a very long time.  Keep your switches clean and you'll enjoy years of trouble free turning.

When anyone tries to sell me an extended warranty, I tell them about the "U shaped" failure curve, and decline by adding that they're trying to get me to pay extra to insure the part of the curve where failures are least likely. I get all sorts of responses.
Smile
The new lathe quest continues . . . . .
Big Grin

I found out a local vendor has a Nova DVR Galaxi marked down from $2,500 to $2,000.
- A bit more than I had planned to spend, but I could cough up the extra $$ if it's actually better lathe than the DVR 3000 or DVR XP.
- Nova DVR Galaxi has: 
  -- 16 inch swing
  -- 44 inch bed (I don't think I need this much capability since I'm just doing pens, bowls and lidded boxes.)
  -- Comes with cast iron stand.
  -- Rheostat for changing speeds (vs. membrane up-and-down buttons).  (I think the rheostat would be more convenient than buttons.) 
  -- Brand new in box with warranty.

Does anyone out there have the Nova DVR Galaxi lathe? 
- If so how do you like it?
- What is the floor space footprint? (I have a small shop and floor space is at a premium.)
  -- Could it be put on a mobile base or casters safely?

Billbo
Smyrna, GA
That's funny - I was about to suggest looking at the Galaxi. Have had the DVR XP for a few years and really like it. The speed presets are nice but using the buttons to make smaller adjustments is slow and a bit of a pain but as with any tool, you adjust to it. Otherwise the thing works very well. That said, there were fewer options on the market when I bought it. The Jet was the only other contender and I wanted something more compact and with a pivoting head. If buying a lathe that size again I'd look at the Galaxi first.
I got to play on a Laguna Revo yesterday, 2 hp, 220 volt. Pretty nice for a smaller lathe. A number of things I would change, but still pretty nice for the price. I looked at the Nova Galaxi only, haven't played on it, and the footprint of the legs is too narrow for my taste. Revo has a wider stance. 

robo hippy
(11-04-2016, 06:34 AM)Billbo Wrote: The new lathe quest continues . . . . .
Big Grin

I found out a local vendor has a Nova DVR Galaxi marked down from $2,500 to $2,000.
- A bit more than I had planned to spend, but I could cough up the extra $$ if it's actually better lathe than the DVR 3000 or DVR XP.
- Nova DVR Galaxi has: 
  -- 16 inch swing
  -- 44 inch bed (I don't think I need this much capability since I'm just doing pens, bowls and lidded boxes.)
  -- Comes with cast iron stand.
  -- Rheostat for changing speeds (vs. membrane up-and-down buttons).  (I think the rheostat would be more convenient than buttons.) 
  -- Brand new in box with warranty.

Does anyone out there have the Nova DVR Galaxi lathe? 
- If so how do you like it?
- What is the floor space footprint? (I have a small shop and floor space is at a premium.)
  -- Could it be put on a mobile base or casters safely?

Billbo
Smyrna, GA

Run as fast as you can and get that machine!  That's a really good price, especially considering it has the cast iron legs and the longer bed (my DVR is a 24 inch bed).  With the knob speed control, I think you'll like it a lot.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I've had my DVR 3000 over 8 years this was the last model prior to the DVRXP it's been flawless. I have bought a used bed extension and have yet to bolt it on. I also bought a outboard rest attachment and use it quite often I 've turned up to 22" bowls outboard no problems. I expect I would like a newer model galaxy as well but speed changes are very quick up and down I stop to check progress and adjust speed in no time the direct drive = the smoothest I've seen and I've seen and turned on several. The Nova lathes are alloy of bang for your buck. I would never buy a Laguna product based on the severe customer service issues that are all over the internet. just my opinion and many others are out there with much older Novas that still are churning out high quality work. My space is very limited and It works better than anything else could as the others are all much longer.
(11-04-2016, 06:34 AM)Billbo Wrote: The new lathe quest continues . . . . .
Big Grin

It's actually an optical encoder, much like what is on modern radios.
No one uses rheostat's for new designs any more.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.