Upgrade to a Nova DVR XP?
(11-06-2016, 11:07 AM)n7bsn Wrote: It's actually an optical encoder, much like what is on modern radios.
No one uses rheostat's for new designs any more.

Think what he's really trying to say is that he prefers analog rather than digital setting.  The numerals aren't always easily visible as we age, but most oldsters can find comfort by setting ~2:30 on the dial.

I don't think anyone builds a lathe programmed to equalize inches/min by an increase rpm as the tool approaches the center, so variability comes from the operator adjusting the feed, not the spin rate.  I certainly don't miss it.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
"Think what he's really trying to say is that he prefers analog rather than digital setting.  The numerals aren't always easily visible as we age, but most oldsters can find comfort by setting ~2:30 on the dial."

I don't usually think of myself as an "oldster" . . . . .  but I am
Cool .

One recurring minor "negative" I keep hearing/reading about on the Nova DVR lathes is the up and down arrow membrane buttons on the control panel.  Certainly not a big thing or deal breaker, but simply turning a knob seems quicker (and less effort
Smirk ) than multiple, multiple presses of a membrane button to change speeds  My guess is Nova has heard customers and made that change on the new DVR 1644.

I've had good luck buying/used "pre-owned" tools, but every used Nova DVR XP or DVR 1624 I find for sale on the internet is either too far away or sold by the time I see the ad and inquire to the seller.  I might have to by cough up the $$ (plus tax 
Upset ) and just buy new.

Thanks for all the inputs/opinions. 
Smile
I can go from 500 rpm to 3000 rpm on my DVR in a matter of seconds. I simply hold the button down. Even faster is using the presets. That can't be done with a knob. The only reason for multiple presses on the speed buttons is if you are fine tuning to a specific speed. I see this as no difference, performance wise, from a knob. I understand that people are using subjective judgements, so my comments won't change anyone's opinion. But, the reality is that the digital speed control buttons are just as efficient as a knob.

My thoughts on the visibility of the display... if I can't read the display, then I probably shouldn't be trying to use a sharp tool to cut a piece of wood turning at 100's rpm on a lathe.
>
Worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.
>
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. - Gustave Le Bon

I agree the speed changes are quick and efficient the display is very clear to my 63 year old eyes.
Having used variable speed lathes since the 3520A came out, going to the DVR I found it extremely slow. Not a big deal if you don't have time concerns, but a big deal if you are a production turner. It is a good lathe, but not my choice when compared to Robust, Powermatic, Oneway, or Vicmark. Not in the same price bracket. More comparable to the Laguna, or maybe the Grizzly. The variable speed on the Laguna, to me is better.

robo hippy
Check out some of the customer service history a  fast  speed knob on a broken lathe with a company who has a pee poor customer service track record = [email=shi#@^$#%]shi#@^$#%[/email]
I'm just saying I wouldn't buy from Laguna after all I've read about their poor customer service. I'd go grizzly and I believe the Nova is much better just my .02 cents.
Laguna does have good quality tools, but like said above, their customer service is lacking. Even after teaming up with Woodcraft...

robo hippy
Well . . .  the quest for upgrading my lathe capability continues . . . . .

A Nova DVR 2024 has popped up on the radar.
- It's 220/240 volt (I have 220/240V in my shop)
- It's about 200 miles away.
- 1 year old
- It has several "accessories" I normally wouldn't purchase, but they add "capability" (but I'm not sure I'd use the capability).
  -- 20 in. bed extension on a "swing away" hinge
  -- Outrigger unit/tool rest
  -- Curved bowl-rest tool rest

What does "brain trust" think of this lathe and what do you think is a fair market price/offer?

Thanks in advance for the inputs/opinions.
That's the upgrade I would like next as The Robust I want is out of my budget at least for now. It has a lot of add on's that I would use that's for sure.
I 'd be checking it out.
Tim
A 2024 DVR new was about $3100.  Add in the swing away extension, bowl rest and outrigger, and you're probably in the $3700 range.  Warranty is still good, so I'd say offer half the new price ($1800) and see what the owner says.  You can turn around and sell the extension and outrigger if you don't think you'll use them to recoup some of your purchase price.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill