Flag case question
I'll be making a flag case for my FIL, who just passed away.  He was a Korean War veteran.

I'm planning to make it out of cherry, that was originally harvested from his farm.  My question is, how should I finish the inside?  I'm concerned about staining where there is contact between the flag and the inside of the case.  Shellac would be my instinctive choice, but I know there are several members who have made flag cases and wanted solicit some advice.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I watched a youtube video last night by Jay Bates where he made one. Finished out great.

The original plan was to use flocking, but they changed to the adhesive felt and it seems to work great. If you wanted to go that route.

I've never built one, I'm just offering up what I can.
I didn't finish the inside. There is some mixed opinions about this, and to some extant it depends on the wood. But anything other than shellac, maybe NC lacquer, or a waterborne will make the flag smell and in the opinion of many (not all) does nothing to preserve the fabric.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I wouldn't consider an oil based finish, because of the problem with terminal off-gassing.  I would think a water borne finish would be OK, but not sure.  I just want to be certain that whatever I do or don't do, it won't harm the flag material, long term. 

The suggestion to line the interior with felt is intriguing.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I've made several; Shellacked the inside.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Hello , I have made several cases . I did stain the case & used a waterborn ( General Finishes ) semi gloss . No I have not taken the flag out since , nor has any of the people I made them for . I guess my question would be why would you . I know you do not want to damage the flag in any way  , but how would you know without checking after several years .
Another shellac vote.
"These new regulations are going to fundamentally change the ways in which we try to avoid them" 

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you"

Shellac or any water based poly will do just fine.   Now forgive me if I'm preaching the choir.  Measure the flag your going to use to before you start building the case.  There are many different sizes of flags.
Well, I think I'll go with shellac.  That's pretty much my go-to finish for anything that doesn't need heavier wear protection anyway.  I figured it was safe, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.  Wouldn't be the first time.

Yea, I'll definitely confirm the dimensions against the actual flag.  I'm still pondering design options.  I've asked the family if there are any other related items they want to display, but too much other stuff going on to focus on that just yet.

Thanks all for the help!