Polyuretane scratches
My grandson put some scratches through the polyurethane finish of an end table I built. Is there any method of hiding the scratches, without having to refinish? Product was Minwax on cherry.

Thanks in advance.

T.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I would just scuff up the surface and apply a new coat.  This will work if you have never waxed or used "End Dust" sprays.  If that is the case you would have to sand off all the finish and apply a new one.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
You might try a Tibet Almond Stick

You can always refinish it if it doesn't work.  

John
I could scuff up a end table's top in 5 minutes with a random orbital sander.  

I could brush on poly with a foam brush in less time than that.  

I toss the brush--no clean up. 

For me, it is a no brainer--if the wood underneath has not been damaged, just scuff and add one coat.  If it has been damaged you will want to sand down further and add two coats.  You probably won't have to go to bare wood however.

If the top has been stained, I would rather not go to bare wood anyhow as it will be difficult to match the original color.
I wish you luck with this, I've not been able to repair varnish in a way I thought was satisfactory unless it was in an inconspicuous area.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Another issue, I'm not positive of the finish-may be General Arm-R-Seal or Minwax. Regardless could either be topped with a water based poly?

Again thanks for the help!

T.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
If you are not sure what the base is, then a dewaxed shellac is good insurance for adhesion.