Bets finish for an outdoor sign?
(11-02-2016, 08:57 AM)Randy C Wrote: I hope you have better luck than I did with what Fred is saying to get at sherwin Williams. I went to two different stores, even printed out what Fred had said and they both acted like they didn't know what he was talking about. Talk d with the managers too.

Two options....one, just buy the paint base without an explanation. Or two, open the can, apply some to a stir stick and show them.

You don't need their approval. This use application is not a well know fact.

I've painted a couple exterior doors with great results. One mahogany door is going on seven years in a south facing direction.
I'm not surprised. When I bought my first can at Lowes some years ago, the young lady said
"I can't sell it like that". This was back in the days when the paint mixing areas were gated off with chain link. So I waited for her to walk away and went behind the gate and grabbed a can. Up to the register and out the door.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
One Shot for lettering.

Ronan for backgrounds.

It's what the pros use.  One Shot's gold metalic is easily the most convincing gold paint on the market.  Really, really good stuff.

http://www.raycosignsupply.com/paint
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
In Ohio the state parks paint the route in hi viz yellow paint, then paint the body with a darker brown. It gives great visibilty in any weather condition, and looks familiar. Wood that works best is cedar, if the edges of the paint fail the sign won't rot. Any finish will deteriorate sooner or later.

[Image: il_340x270.1017056501_ja97.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Any application advice for the exterior paint base? I want to try this on an outdoor table and bench I am finishing up. Thinking I will spray on the Exterior 450 for the stained table top as planned, but maybe I could paint the table base with the Olympic #5. It is currently painted with exterior black paint, but the customer wants it distressed, so I feel I like I need a top coat to protect from rain...

Brush or roller? Thick or thin coats? How many coats for full exposure to elements?

Thanks again for the advice.
I don't follow the logic of needing to clear coat the black paint, but (assuming you can find the Olympic #5) just remember this paint. Roll or brush will give you a fairly thick coat, and 2 would be more than enough (IMHO). Remember tif this is the oil base #5, it will have an amber cast just like varnish....the black may get a color shift. The acrylic Olympic #5 exterior dries water clear. I had some that was tinted, but before they put the tint in I dipped a paint paddle in to see if it dried clear, and it did. Looks really milky in the can, tho.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks, Fred. I am only thinking it needs a top coat because it is distressed...knocked the paint off the edges and corners, so bare wood wood is exposed in those spots.

Thanks for the advice.
[Image: HPIM2181_zpsfpvwv81k.jpg]
This is walnut with two coats of Sherwin Williams Ultra deep tint base(milky as applied, dries clear). It has been outside for more than a year. This is the south facing side.
Minwax Spar Urathane, 300 MSRD Boards can't be wrong.
Jim

THANK OUR MILITARY THAT WE ARE FREE

If I accepted, that'd mean I didn't have any integrity..
AND then I'd meet your expectations as a politician..
Fred Kingston...052708