Which 40v or 24v yard tools should I get?
I did a search because I thought I saw this topic here previously, but it didn't come up...

I'm planning on investing in a 40v (or similar) yard system this winter. My gas trimmer and blower both gave up the ghost in the last few months after many good years of service. I don't want to go with a gas system again and I've heard that the new cordless systems are pretty decent. So, I'm leaning that direction. Definitely don't want to use a corded system. 40v or similar battery system is sounding pretty good.

I don't have much area that needs trimming, due to LOML having planned out the landscaping pretty maintenance free, so I don't need gas or a giant battery system.

I'd love your recommendations and to hear how systems are working for you.

Here are my needs and/or ground rules going in:

1) I need a system that has a line trimmer, hedge trimmer, and maybe a blower and light duty chainsaw.

2) I'd like to have a battery system that is reasonably priced (sales over the next couple months should be abundant). I'd like to get in at around $200-$250 or lower for the trimmer with starter kit of 2 batteries and charger. Additional pieces sold separately will be varied in price, I understand.

3) The trimmer feed. I know there are lots of opinion on tap-feed vs auto-feed vs alternate head options. I don't really have an opinion on this. I've always had a tap-feed, but I've also had to replace those heads a few times over the years. Not sure if reliability of the heads has improved much in the past 10-15 years...

4) As little as I'm going to use this thing, maybe 15 minutes per week max, I don't need a pro level tool, but I do always prefer to buy decent quality once and get a reliable tool. That said, what reviews I've read have actually been pretty favorable to some of the cheaper systems like B&D, GreenWorks and some others. I've considered the Porter Cable and Bosch systems, but the reviews haven't really justified the added cost. Of course, it would be nice to have other tools available with the system, like drill/drivers, sawzalls, etc...

5) I'd like the battery system to have a decent product life. I've seen some of the systems change the battery plug-in design after a few years, and the new batteries not fit the legacy system. Hopefully, there won't be a complete changover in the system I choose within a few years of purchase, but that's something that can't be forseen, unless a manufacturer has pledged to keep the insert design consistent, which I haven't heard of...

That's really all I've considered so far. I'm sure you guys will enlighten me to considerations I've not yet thought of.

Thanks in advance!

(edited to add proviso #5)

" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I was looking at them this spring.  I ended up with the Kobalt 80V system 30 min charger, when Lowe's had them on sale with a mail in Battery Rebate.  Besides getting a 10% Military rebate.  I liked it because I could use my attachments on it.  For Weed cutting no issues, 1 charge can almost do my yard.  The Edger attachment pushed it the most.  I was using it to cut Sod not just edging.  It was for my  wifes' flower bed expansion.  I cut up the sod so it could be shoveled out easier.  Took both batteries to do it and a partially charged one.  So look for the best deal, I would think the 40V system may be as good. Dan
I have the 40v trimmer by Kobalt. I can trim my quarter acre lot twice on one charge. It cuts better than the two stroke trimmer it replaced. Just one man's experience.
“Poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten”
I have the Greenworks G-Max 40V Trimmer & Blower.  It does come with other products as well (Hedge Trimmer, Chain saw, etc).

I am very happy with the battery.  It lasts for all my trimming & blowing without recharge.  It's also just past a 2-year ownership and doesn't appear to be losing any charging ability.  

I highly recommend it.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Zero emissions!  No voltage.

Save the planet while killing yourself.

[Image: mower23.jpg]
[Image: mower25.jpg]

Play- Chase the neighbors.
[Image: mower4.jpg]

A John Leer.
[Image: mower21.jpg]

Get-er-done!
[Image: mower15.jpg]

I'm sorry- what was the question?

40 volt.

here
Thanks for the recommendation. I've received some pretty good feedback on both the Greenworks and the Ego systems.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I think 40v yard
My neighbor recently bought a 40V DeWalt string trimmer and loves it.

Me, I'm an Echo man.  I think battery powered lawn tools will take over but I wouldn't want to make the investment for another couple of years.
Mike

Funny on occasion, embarrassing on average.
Finishing up my second season with my Greenwirks 40 volt Gmax stuff (mower,blower,weedeater). Does all I've asked if it. I have the 19" mower with the steel deck. The 20" dual blade model just looked too funky for me.

I didn't know they made a hedge trimmer. Might need to look into that.
-Marc

Probably not what you are looking for, but I've been happy with my Ryobi 18V Li-ion tools around the house. I haven't tried the blower or electric chainsaw, but I use the stringtrimmer, the hedge trimmer, and sawsall (pruning saw).

I have 120 feet of Texas Rangers in a hedge and I can trim about 50% on one large battery. I can recharge that battery in way lesstime than it takes to rake up and bag the first half of the hedge, but I have two, so it doesn't matter.

The pruning saw has good power and does any and all pruning tasks and the occasional home building task that it is asked to do. I'm not sure I'd ever need a battery powered chain saw at the current residence. The pruning saw does all I need.

I would want to try out the blower before commiting to likeing the entire product range if I were not already invested.

I also have the jigsaw and two circular saws I use on HfH projects and they perform well.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry