Reclaimed lumber project.
I started this project at least two years ago. I started a joint business with a person who had lots of reclaimed lumber and wanted some one to use his lumber to make projects. The joint business failed. He did however come through by dropping a bunch of old growth reclaimed lumber at my house. I built and delivered a pub height table and 4 stools pictured below.

[Image: tabelstools-002_zpse26f98b9.jpg]

I went out to where I had dropped off the project almost a year later and recovered the set and returned it to my garage where it has been since.

I didn't care for the original setup and wanted to change things a bit. One change was to lighten up the weight a bit. That was accomplished by cutting the legs of the stools down and also removing some of the surface of the seats. I did not take pictures of that but here is a series of how things have changed.

Miter jig set to 7 degrees
[Image: Reclaimed-redo-001_zpsoraivrt5.jpg]

Saw set to 7 degrees and leg being cut.
[Image: Reclaimed-redo-002_zpsltbeqph7.jpg]

[Image: Reclaimed-redo-003_zpsdxjfgsvp.jpg]

Results of cutting.
[Image: Reclaimed-redo-004_zpsczwv6jer.jpg]

[Image: Reclaimed-redo-005_zpsengvkjur.jpg]

I wanted to have a place for feet to rest rather then just hanging.
[Image: Reclaimed-redo-009_zpscii33hc4.jpg]

So here are the stool tops and legs ready for stain and finishing.
[Image: Reclaimed-redo-008_zpsbxp2x6es.jpg]

[Image: Reclaimed-redo-007_zps4cx7j2zx.jpg]

Now moving on to the top. I was watching some Y-tube videos of filling cracks in lumber so I decided this project could use some filling. The next three pictures show the epoxy as well as two different views of the back side of the top. These pictures show the back side of the top after the second application of epoxy. The epoxy was mixed per instructions then I added two drops of transtint dye to put a little color in the epoxy

[Image: Reclaimed-redo-010_zpskf4ou3js.jpg]

[Image: Reclaimed-redo-011_zpsqmg3kyxy.jpg]

[Image: Reclaimed-redo-012_zpstr0sxdrp.jpg]
Like the project. I used some reclaimed long leaf pine heartwood to build my work bench and my Moxon vise, it was at least 120 years old....and eye opening experience.

How did the filler turn out?

Regards,
Andy
Mos Maiorum

-- mos maiorum
Very good. The blue tape ran all the way along the edge and over all the possible cracks on the up side. I will be turning it over in a few minutes.
Results of the back side and the front before epoxy and after.

This is of a large void on the back side that seems to look very good after drying.

[Image: Reclaimed-redo-013_zpsy6ons6qi.jpg]

This is where I didn't get enought tape on the opposite side. I sure am glad I had paper on top of my workbench.

[Image: Reclaimed-redo-014_zpsys2jxa2u.jpg]

The top side after epoxy work. Notice the paper that was on the top side in the picture above after a quick sanding. (The bottom of this photo.)

[Image: Reclaimed-redo-015_zpsi5t9lkmn.jpg]
I make toys and models and small projects. I use mostly all reclaimed lumber. A lot of wormy chestnut. The reason most woodworkers don not like it is the nail problem. You can not always get all of the nails out. I have a planer with a spiral head. The cutters are sharp on all 4 sides so nails do not pose such a problem because you can turn the damaged cutters around apposed to having to take out the knives out and sharpen or replace them.
Old growth pine is my very favorite wood.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson