Huge dehumidifier recall
Many of us have dehumidifiers in our shops (I do).  It looks like a lot of them are involved in this recall.

Quote:Important Safety Notice About Select Dehumidifiers
Please Read Below. Then check to see if your unit is affected utilizing the tool at the bottom of this page. If you do not see the brand or model of your unit listed, then your unit is not affected.
[Image: uscpsc.jpg]U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Recall Summary
Name of Product: Dehumidifiers. See Description below.
Hazard: The dehumidifiers can overheat, smoke and catch fire, posing serious fire and burn hazards.
Remedy: Replace/Refund.
Consumers should immediately turn off and unplug the dehumidifiers and contact GD Midea for either a replacement unit or a partial refund. Consumers whose dehumidifiers were manufactured before October 1, 2008 will receive a partial refund, not a replacement. The manufacturing dates can be found on back of units.
Consumer Contact: To register and determine if you are eligible for this program, enter your unit's brand, model, and serial number into the tool at the bottom of this page. If your unit is one of the recalled units you will then be able to verify that you are human by checking the box in the Captcha tool then clicking the Register Now button.
Recall Details
Units: About 3.4 million (in addition 850,000 were sold in Canada)
Description: This recall involves 25, 30, 40, 50, 60, 65, 70, and 75-pint dehumidifiers with the following brand names: Airworks, Alen, Arctic King, Arcticaire, Beaumark, Comfort Star, ComfortAire, Continental Electric, Coolworks, Crosley, Daewoo, Danby, Danby Designer, Dayton, Degree, Diplomat, Edgestar, Excell, Fellini, Forest Air, Frigidaire, GE, Grunaire, Hanover, Homestyles, Honeywell, Hyundai, Ideal Air, Kenmore, Keystone, Kul, Midea, Nantucket, Ocean Breeze, Pelonis, Perfect Aire, Perfect Home, Polar Wind, Premiere, Professional Series, Royal Sovereign, Simplicity, SPT, Sunbeam, Sylvania, TGM, Touch Point, Trutemp, Uberhaus, Westpointe, Winix, and Winixl.
Incidents/Injuries: Midea has received 38 reports of smoke and fire. About $4.8 million property damage has been reported. No injuries have been reported.
Sold at: Lowes, Menards, PC Richard and other stores nationwide from January 2003 through December 2013 for between $100 and $300.
Manufactured in: GD Midea Air Conditioning Equipment Ltd., of China
Here is a link
I'll check mine, but what' most interesting to me is the long list of brand names made by the same company. Thanks for the info.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-03-2016, 07:46 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I'll check mine, but what' most interesting to me is the long list of brand names made by the same company. Thanks for the info.

LOL, everybody seeking the lowest bid for manufacturing and picking the same offshore outsourcer.  Its a wonder this doesn't happen more often.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Just checked mine. It looks identical but made in 2015. No worries.
looks like mine is affected.  From a thermal design viewpoint, it's a really good dehumidifier.  Wonder who designed that part? Too bad they screwed up the hose attachment part of it so bad.
Good thing my Whirlpool isn't on it. 12 years old & still going strong.
Knock on wood.
This is a new recall, dated Nov. 2.

At first I thought it was just a new post about an older recall that as I remember had something to do with faulty compressors. That may have been a manufacturer recall.

Thanks for pointing out.
Thanks for posting. I'll have $100 heading my way.
Many thanks, Mike.  My Frigidaire is one of the ones involved, and is the second warranty replacement unit.  Now I get another new one for free.  Let's hope this one lasts longer than any of the others, the longest of which is the current one at 3+ years.  Modern dehumidifiers are junk.   

John
Thanks so much! The unit in my basement is affected: just a few years old. It replaced a Kenmore that lasted around 40 years (made in USA).
Should have had the Kenmore repaired. Thanks again!