Another refinishing project
Here's a little mahogany side table that I refinished for a good client.  I didn't take a before picture, should have, but she had "antiqued" it in a hideous white color about 40 years ago when that was the thing to do.  I had to strip it twice and spent a good deal of time picking the little specs of white paint out of the rope moldings.  The top and shelf are veneered, and I almost sanded through the veneer on the shelf which would have caused me all kinds of headaches.  Fortunately, no harm done.  

The finish is Arm-R-Seal satin, 4 coats to fill that thirsty mahogany, and then I rubbed it with 0000 steel wool and dark wax. 

[Image: H96uZrEK7Y8D-Wq1eMpqca8AsqepzBlbov7Qnb8A...71-h628-no]

[Image: o3rbqSRazYhZoE5YodNdd1hGQi6PRHEdJbVlnftU...38-h628-no]

John
Nice. I can only imagine (and hope to never face) that problem with the white paint in the moldings. I'm sure she's happy with it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Great job!!!!

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Nice job of getting all the nasty white paint off , did you use any stain at all ?  The finish looks awesome  .
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. "HF"
(11-03-2016, 07:45 PM)JerrySats Wrote: Nice job of getting all the nasty white paint off , did you use any stain at all ?  The finish looks awesome  .

Thanks.  No, no stain, just Arm-R-Seal followed by dark wax. 

I returned the table today - she was very happy with it.  She told me she paid $2 or $3 for it at some garage sale about 40 years ago.  It was nice to bring it back to what it might have looked like when new.  

John
John,
table looks great ! real nice job, I am sure she will be happy with that for a long time.
I have a couple of harp tables that I have in the queau (sp) that will need refinishing,. I will have to post here for help when I am ready to tackle them.
Thanks for sharing John.
Gordon
Nice job; really turned out nice.

I HATE people who paint those old pieces.  Stripping and refinishing a piece before painting isn't really that hard.  But once painted it takes patience to do it right.  I HATE those people so shabby chic items.  I understand they think things look cool but - real wood looks so much better.  If you want shabby chic then buy a garbage piece or an unfinished piece.  Don't take real antiques and paint it. 

Off my soapbox.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
You have every right to be pleased and proud John.    What an accomplishment.
It looks great: nice save.  I'm glad that even though she got it for nothing, she thought enough of it to have you bring it back to life.  That should not have been cheap.