My review of the Nova DVR Drill Press
Thumbs Up 

As I say in the video, it is the first real innovation in drill presses since the electric motor.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Can you measure runout at full extension?

Thanks for the video BTW.
I will have to see if I still have the right measuring tools to do so.

I can tell you this though: being direct drive, there is far less runout than I have normally encountered. I was able to use a rosette cutter (seen briefly in the video) with great results, very little tear out or chatter.

Using the circle cutter also gives better than normal edges.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Thanks, much appreciated.
The really surprising part is that this drill press is priced within $100.00 of the big Powermatic floor model.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
(11-03-2016, 05:42 PM)handi Wrote: The really surprising part is that this drill press is priced within $100.00 of the big Powermatic floor model.

If you buy online it may be a little more since the Powermatic prices include residential liftgate delivery so it depends on the seller since I have not seen free shipping on an Teknatool lathe, but I could be wrong.  

For me I have to add the price of a decent (enough for wood) keyless chuck, I will never go back to a keyed chuck.

The PM 2800b also has some other bells and whistles that may be more important to some than others, but this is an intriguing press in a lot of ways.
Pretty darn nice, you did good to keep your hands away from that circle cutter .
What the Heck, Give it a Try
I have great respect for those suckers.

One nice feature of the Voyager is that the DVR system monitors resistance thousands of times per second. If it notes a big spike in the resistance, like when a bit catches as it punches through, it will lock up the brake, minimizing potential damage.

The DVR lathe has this feature too. I caught a tool once. You could clearly see the gouge line not quite one full revolution around the part. It stopped before I even realized there was an issue.

Not quite "Press Stop", but a nice feature.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
I have to say that is pretty slick. Who is selling them, all
My google-fu is returning is Rockler.
-Marc

(11-03-2016, 07:13 PM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: I have to say that is pretty slick. Who is selling them, all
My google-fu is returning is Rockler.

I think they have yet to ship any of the production models, as I understand it they are close.  I know Toolnut will have them and probably all the retailers of Nova Lathes.