Scroll Saw
I currently have a Delta 16" Shopmaster Scroll Saw, which until recently I have used all that much.  However, I started making projects that require intricate patterns, so I've been using my Delta, however I'm starting to realize the limitations of this saw, and wanted to get some feedback on what other's recommend for a 16" Scroll Saw. Unfortunately, money is a factor, so I was looking to spend no more than $100.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Scott
At that price point, used is your best option.  The Dewalt always gets a lot of positive comments.  I have a Dremmel, but I don't use it a lot so I can't say if it would meet your need.
Check that your using the proper recommended blades for the type of cuts your making.
What the Heck, Give it a Try
You're not going to improve much on your quality in machine at that price point.

However, make sure you're using the small pinless blades.  They make a huge difference.  Pinned blades are very large in comparison.

If your machine can't accept pinless blades, then maybe there is a conversion kit you could add on; maybe that would be more helpful.
I cant recommend any scrollsaw at $100. unless youre fortunate enough to find someone on CL parting with a dewalt, excaliber, hegner, or hawn that just wants to get rid of it.

the type and brands of blades can make a huge difference. personally I use flying Dutchman blades. I have quite a large assortment of 2 way cut, spirals,and ultra reverse. I have 2/0  two way cut blades that allow me to literally turn on a pin head.but they aren't good for cutting thinker material. otoh, the #7 cut thinker stock great but not as tight of a turning radius. my go to are the #5 except on portraitwork, which I use either #3 or 5 spirals.
As the others have said, for $100, you aren't likely to find anything that is a step up from the Delta you have.  You certainly won't find anything new for $100 that is any better.  The used market would be your best bet, but to get a good saw you will need to save some more money.  I just upgraded to an Excaliber and sold my Dewalt earlier this year for $200 and I wouldn't have taken any less.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(11-04-2016, 02:01 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I just upgraded to an Excaliber and sold my Dewalt earlier this year for $200 and I wouldn't have taken any less.
I picked up a type 2 back in 2006. did a LOT of work on it, but then the motor died ( windings shorted out). didn't have the cash for a new saw and picked up a crapsman used and barely did any scrolling for a few years. it really wasn't built formuch more than the occasional use market and I wore it out pretty quick.
I got the EX16 two years ago from santa. its been a workhorse.
great warranty,too.
At 100 your only option is used.  

Play with the saw blades.  I use 5R or 7R most.  but there are times I use smaller blades.  The big key to to use the proper blade and tension.  You really can't over tension too much.  But too loose is really bad for scrolling.

I have tried spiral bits but not real happy - need real good hand/eye.

I added a magnifying lens/light.  I can not cut the line with real accuracy.  HF has a nice unit.  Before that I use reading glasses.  I find it really important to have a good light. 

There is limitations to the 16".  That is one main reason I upgraded from a 16" to my Dewalt .
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.