Finish on a walnut tote.
I recently bought a pretty beat-up infill panel plane, with a very stout Matheison and Sons blade, that's  turned out to be a pretty good user.  The edges of the hole in the tote made it rather uncomfortable to use for any extended period, so I smoothed the edges.  I also had to repair the horn as a result of a brain fart, so, with a fair amount of the existing finish gone, I thought I'd take the rest off and start over. Though not figured, the walnut underneath looks pretty nice-"warm" is the word that comes to mind.

I have some Watco Dark Walnut,  Tru-Oil, MinWax Antique Refinisher, (it just appeared one day) and, I think,  some Borg BLO, in the shop.  I also have some Seal Coat which I can use under or over the finish I chose.  Any suggestions? (Doesn't have to come from the above list.) 

Thanks.
Tony
I think that all of the mentioned finishes will work fine, it's a matter of taste more or less. On Walnut I like to go with one layer of BLO to darken the colour. After it's dried, it gets 2 or 3 layers of Tru Oil. This makes the the finish to be rather durable.

Klaus
I like walnut in its natural state. BLO is nice but will turn it darker over time. I just finished my corner cupboard and used Minwax poly satin from rattle can. Looks nice.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I prefer a flat finish on my planes totes and knobs so I'd choose Tru-oil with enough to seal the grain, but not enough to make it slippery.  That's what I used on this #6 -

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7455....36.11.jpg
Another vote for Tru-Oil. It was formulated as a gunstock finish, many of which are walnut. It looks miles deep when done right.

If you don't like the high gloss, it can be muted by rubbing with pumice on a cotton cloth.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
While I might knock down the shine a bit, the Tru-Oil works for me.  

Thanks for all the suggestions.[Image: rsz_11img_5561.jpg]
Tony
Wow, that really worked well! Beautiful.

Cheers
Pedder
Great job!
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Tru-Oil on walnut:[Image: nicobietote004.jpg]
Another vote for Tru-Oil. I use it on the gunstocks that I chequer and customers are always thrilled.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com