Router to machine aluminum?
Lee, your PMs are not turned on after the woodnet software change.

Mikie

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Opps.
Thanks, Mike.
I fixed it.
Lee
place I used to work used a Makita router to cut out access holes in airplane wings.  I only saw the setup, never saw them doing it.  I was told they would spin the bit in beeswax before cutting.  I tried it, it makes a mess and is pretty unpleasant to do because the shower of chips
(11-07-2016, 07:32 PM)Stytooner Wrote: You would need to know the router speed or get a best guess. Most are between 18 and 24 thousand RPM. Really too fast for a standard end mill. 4 flutes is too many. It will clog up instantly without coolant. 
The O flute bits are probably your best bet. Light passes only if it is hand held or in a circle jig. The grade of aluminum matters a lot as well. 6061 is my go to material unless I need something tougher. Then I use 7075.
Many grades of aluminum will not machine well and be very gummy. Avoid those. 5052 and 6063 are two bad choices. Of the grades below those, I would just pass on them.

You are right my mistake. A two flute is better for aluminum. With 6061, it will still clog- speeds and feed rate help when you can get them just right.
I think a router bit might be just as good as an end mill in this application.  I used a router bit, and I was pleased with the surface finish.  Turning the router speed all the way down is a good idea.
Nice write up on O flute and using it with a router in aluminum.

An O flute is a single flute.

http://blog.cnccookbook.com/2012/12/23/w...-end-mill/

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(11-11-2016, 02:55 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Nice write up on O flute and using it with a router in aluminum.

An O flute is a single flute.

http://blog.cnccookbook.com/2012/12/23/w...-end-mill/

Very interesting. Thanks.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.