I do not know what is
up with me lately.

All I have done for the last 5 weeks is allow a few individuals to turn by themselves a few snowmen and other Christmas ornaments and have done noting for myself.

My head it seems is getting worse and worse in how it feels.  The only thing that cheers me up is someone's kindness of sending all the wood some individuals have done and watching the turnings but other then that I am getting gloomy.

I will have to find a way to cheer myself up someway.
Any ideas besides turning?  I do not trust myself in the garage right now.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I'm sorry to hear you're down in the dumps, Mr. Arlin.
Sad I understand how you're feeling, my friend. I'm dealing w/chronic pain daily, & back surgery is December 29th.

At this point, what I've been doing is spending time reading about new projects, & surfin' the net for new projects. That helps.

I also look for new friends on these wood forums I regular. I've found it helps to chat. This isn't my first rodeo with chronic pain. I've been fighting it, & bouts with depression since I had menengitis in 2009. To talk to other folks always helps me. And, my wood shop does, too. But, like you, I'm getting where I don't care to go to the shop, so, I get on the net, try & make a new friend or two. Sit outside with the dogs, soak up the sunshine if the weather allows me to. Hang in there brother. I'm here if you want to chat. send me a pm & send ya my phone number. Enjoy the evening!
Sawdust703
Smile

head sawdust maker
Raised
Arlin,
My PTSD flairs from time to time also. Try a change of pace with something new. It will allow you to focus on other things besides the gloomies. Try chip carving as an example. There are only three or four basic cuts, requires a minmum of equipment (only two knives to start). It is something that you can do while watching others, and it allows you to engage in conversation while you are at it. Basswood is easy to carve. It is also something you can do in your lap. I know that talking to others about your experiences can be a real downer, but sometimes talking to others can give you insight to what is causing your gloom. Hang in there brother, it doesn't last forever. One other suggestion would be the lighting you use. Try to find full spectrum lights, it helps those who get depression in the winter time due to reduced sun light.
Jim
When I get down and start to withdraw from everything I find a way to help someone in need and that helps me. I've found that it takes my mind off my pain and depression and gives me purpose again. I always seem to find that my problems are not as bad as I thought and there is always someone worse off than me.  I had a therapist tell me to go volunteer somewhere and help others and that has been the saving grace in my life. I know you do so much with the vets but maybe you need to branch out and help kids or something else for a change.  I'm praying for you brother and hope you get some peace.  

Jeff
It's time for the patriots to stand up!
I go through the same thing old friend. I blame it on winter, temps go down pain goes up mood goes south. Not sure if it's good or bad but I can't slow down during winter turning wise. Snow birds buying (hopefully) in AZ and Christmas shoppers in WY. I've been trying to design my next piece for over 3 weeks and just don't have enough care right now to get it done. 

I find the little things help me in the shop, cleaning, organizing, making those changes you've been thinking about easy stuff like that usually gets me back in the swing of things.
Don't know what to tell you Arlin. It is different for every one. You could blame it on the politics going on right now, that is enough to drive any one crazy, or crazier... We all have our ups and downs. For me, I always 'vented' with exercise. Only thing that kept me at least half way sane during my teenage years. Baking bread always left me feeling better no matter how I felt when I started, and of course, no bread making machine.... Kneading does it for me. Music helps. 

If nothing else, watch those in your shop that are turning and consider that you have inspired them. You also have lots of friends here and on the other forums. 

I had a friend share these pictures from Facebook a few days ago, and thought it was excellent relief from the politics:

https://www.facebook.com/arteide.org/pho...=3&theater

Hope the link is good here.

robo hippy
Thanks guys.

Tomorrow I am going to the VA again for acupuncture for the 3rd time and I find it helps some and then my Chriropractor and massage therapist help the aches and pains.

I do not know if you guys remember years back when I had the brain surgery for what they thought was a tumor but ended up just a piece of bone from another of the guys.  I still think of that and the others.  I really really hope sometime I will be able to rent a building to let everyone do wood working at once and not waiting for me or for me to email them when they are at the top of the list again to come and turn.

So far I have given away 5 mini lathe and all the tools to help them turn with.  I was very lucky to get them so cheap and a lot of my tools were given to me by you and others else where's.

On carving or even chip carving I do not want to spend the funds right now to buy the tools or DVDs to learn.  I still own Steve $350 but I did buy 150 pen kits and a few more bushings.

I just now thought this will pass and hopfully soon.  I hate being in the dumps and maybe I should see if my daughter and my four grandkids want to come over from St Louis for a weeks visit.  I love my family.

Keep up the good work you guys are doing and I will try to PM you to encourage you also.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin, 
Only thing I preach about, and minimally is Tai Chi. It can be geared for standing or sitting. One thing I love about my class is we do a lot of standing meditation. Helps with calming me down. Comes in handy for the motions we do when turning too. Sending good vibes your way. 

robo hippy
To me it always feels good to get out of town.
Hi Arlin,

Hope you are feeling a bit better.

Keep in mind the old quote:  " This too, shall pass."

Also,

Just know that there are a lot of us guys out here,
     who have never even met you, 
     that consider you a dear friend.

Best to you and yours.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me