disposing old finish
The annual clean up day we have in my township near Cincinnati does not accept this stuff. I don't know of any place that would.
I guess I'll look for some cheap cat litter. I just cleaned out my DC bin 2 weeks ago and probably won't make enough dust any time soon to handle several gallons of old finish.
There are no fumes with this wb stuff but I would still rather do this outside but now that it's cooler it's going to take longer to dry. It's being old may contribute to additional drying time.

Years ago.before I knew better (about this anyway) I put partly full paint cans in the trash. The compactor happen to come down on them and paint had shot out the back and all over the road. I heard that the garbage guy was not pleased, to say the.least. it took a long time for that paint to weather away.
Ray
I know it's evil to laugh at the garbage man, but I did.  When I was fixing up my mom's house, I had to get rid of a never-ending pile of paint cans.  I had a big storage bin of kitty litter, and dumped paint in until it didn't seem like it would absorb any more. I would wait a week, put the dried stuff in the trash and repeat.  It's not going anywhere now, right?
oh boy. was it all just sitting under the litter at the bottom and - same result as my jackass move?

Garbage men and sewage disposal workers are my unsung heroes in life.
Who else is there to take the crap from my house?
God bless them all.
Ray
(11-07-2016, 04:58 PM)joespehar Wrote: There is also some stuff you can get at Home Depot or other hardware and paint store that you mix into the can that solidifies the paint.

I had not heard of that stuff, I'll have to look around for it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I use it to seal the ends of turning blanks/logs. just lay it on thick. using it up on any thing is better than putting it in the dump.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
With water based paints I just add some old brick mortar mix to it and it sets up.    Roly
That's a great suggestion and I might keep a small amount on hand for such uses, 
but I have enough for such to last a long long time and I have a small house and a small shop and I need this stuff out of my way.
Anyone here near Cincinnati is welcome to come and get it if I don't dispose of it first.
Ray
Our town says - kitty litter, or let it dry, sand, sawdust, etc.  Basically they want it non liquid.  Oil based - recycling center.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Wow,

Luckily, my county refuse center has a permanent facility for accepting this kind of stuff.

No help to you otherwise.  Good luck,
chris
(11-11-2016, 03:08 PM)doobes Wrote: Wow,

Luckily, my county refuse center has a permanent facility for accepting this kind of stuff.

No help to you otherwise.  Good luck,

Where we had lived until 8 or 9 years ago the counties trash/recycling centers had drop off for still wet in the can disposal, unlimited quantities. Now where we are the only acceptable form is using a drier/hardener, and putting it in the trash. Where we came from I never encountered dumps of paint/finish cans in fields, or waterways. Where we are now I have seen it a number of rimes, sometimes in large quantities. Evidently the polluters can't be bothered with driers/hardeners. Or perhaps the people around here aren't so swift.
Yes
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW