disposing old finish
City here used to have a hazardous waste disposal day about once every 3 months or so.  Huge lines and took hours to chuck your stuff.  A lot of people didn't bother and found other avenues for disposal (a local ditch often serving the purpose).  City proposed a ballot initiative to add a fee to the utility charges to fund HWD - pretty small, a dollar or two a month.  Passed easily.  Now the HDW site is open 3 days a week for residential use and additional days for businesses.  Seldom more than 2-3 vehicles waiting, usually none.  Drive in with what you've got (paints, solvents, old electronics), sign in and hand it off to the person working there and your done.  Got rid of some sheet asbestos once - no problem.  Way better than it used to be.
Your local Habitat for Humanity ReStore will take it happily.

I found this out when I moved three years ago. I could not ship flammables in the Pack Rat container, so I needed to unload a bunch of half used spray cans and various paint/finish cans.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Habitat gifting would be great, you feel it wasn't wasted, and maybe helped someone out a little. Our Habitats will only take full cans though
Upset
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Well crap. I would've done that, but now I've let the jugs sit outside for several days and we've had some freezing temp over night a few times. No good now. Crap!
That's a great suggestion.
Ray
You said the stuff was past using (I agree if it's that old) so it would be be bad form to give that to the restore. Don't fret, you saved someone else from a problem.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Check with your local waste management company. Here in Central New York they have collection stations for used paint, stains and other types of finishes.