Hot Water Heater
Well, I dodged a huge bullet. I am doing renovations on the first floor and am retiling my laundry room where my hot water heater was. I plan on moving it to the garage and eventually putting in a cabinet in its place so I removed it temporarily to tile the floor and was going to reinstall it till I did all the plumbing to move it. After pulling it out I see that the whole bottom and back is rusted out and was slowly leaking and looks like I caught it just in time before a major flood.

So now I need to buy a new one. My last two houses were new construction so I have never had to replace one. What brands are recommended and has anyone tried the new hybrid models that use a mini heat pump? I was looking at the Rheem Hybrid 50 gallon model at $1100. Is the extra cost worth it? I know it probably depends on my electical costs.. but was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
The hybrids heat water by pulling it from the airspace around the heater. If you always have surplus heat in that space, fine, otherwise your heating system has to supply that heat as well. My climate, they have very limited practical application.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I doubt he keeps his garage warm
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Its never mentioned in the sales hype about them.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

FYI it is a water heater, NOT A "hot water heater", Who needs to heat hot water???
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(11-07-2016, 01:22 AM)MikeBob Wrote: FYI it is a water heater, NOT A "hot water heater", Who needs to heat hot water???

thank you. I was restraining myself from posting that.
(11-07-2016, 06:46 AM)crokett™ Wrote: thank you.  I was restraining myself from posting that.
Everytime I see someone posting the "It's a water heater... not a hot water heater..." line I am reminded of the first time I heard that.  It was years ago in a architectural project meeting with the owner and the engineers present.  The owner said "Hot water heater" and this dorky geeky engineer had to pipe up "Its a water heater... not a hot water heater" blaa blaa complete with the awkward "engineer" laugh.  The owner and the rest of us were silent for a bit and moved on.  Later, the owner demanded that the "smart assed" engineer be pulled from the project. The lesson stuck.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(11-07-2016, 07:41 AM)Splinter Puller Wrote: Everytime I see someone posting the "It's a water heater... not a hot water heater..." line I am reminded of the first time I heard that.  It was years ago in a architectural project meeting with the owner and the engineers present.  The owner said "Hot water heater" and this dorky geeky engineer had to pipe up "Its a water heater... not a hot water heater" blaa blaa complete with the awkward "engineer" laugh.  The owner and the rest of us were silent for a bit and moved on.  Later, the owner demanded that the "smart assed" engineer be pulled from the project. The lesson stuck.

Probably a good thing for that engineer. If the client has a problem with being corrected on terminology to the point he wants hhim replaced just think how bad it's going to be when the client has to deal with real issues. That engineer saved himself months of headaches hassle and high blood pressure.
(11-07-2016, 01:22 AM)MikeBob Wrote: FYI it is a water heater, NOT A "hot water heater", Who needs to heat hot water???

104 degrees is hot. BUt I like to heat it up to about 120 or so.

A quick view of retailers indicate a number of them sell hot water heaters.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
(11-07-2016, 09:10 AM)Robert Adams Wrote:        Probably a good thing for that engineer. If the client has a problem with being corrected on terminology to the point he wants hhim replaced just think how bad it's going to be when the client has to deal with real issues. That engineer saved himself months of headaches hassle and high blood pressure.

Not really,  The client was a hotel developer and we did about 30 more over the next decade.  It was a cash cow for all the team members once the initial few were out for construction.   Loved doing hotels back in the 80's and 90's before they got too customized and branded.    The developers and investors used to get at least a 30 percent return back then... its tricked down ever since.
WoodNET... the new safespace