Got Saw Mill??
Question 
Grandson is hot to trot for a bandsaw type saw mill. I would appreciate your input: make and model, good/bad and would you buy again??
Please pray for our troops! Semper Fi!

Bob Ross (I used to be called "Doc")
www.theborkstore.com

I have a band Sawmill. It is a Logmaster (they are now out of business) very strong and rugged machine powered by a small Cat diesel. I bought it to saw out the lumber to build my barn. Since then we continue to make lumber although it tends to get run about once a year. The past few weeks we have been milling hemlock to make a new bed for BIL's trailer.
I am happy to have the machine. I never buy lumber except for PT. This is my second machine. I found by the experience of the first that rigidty is very important. A log loader is also a good thing. I do not have a computer to set board thickness as I do it in my head and it is not a problem.
Be aware that he will need support equipment to move logs and lumber. Being very careful sticking your boards is also very important.
Hope this helps.
Yes get a skid steer too
Smile

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Or You could just watch someone build a really big one on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...XlQJleCwun
I owned and used a LT-30 WoodMizer for 10 years. Sold it in 99 or so.
I was very happy with it. Manual load.
Though outdated, there should be used ones around to be bought.
WoodMizer could probably locate you one.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Guy that used to be my neighbor had one he bought new in 2000 to 2005??? He got it from a guy selling them in Ky, I want to say Lexington area. He got a great deal on it. His doesn't have hydraulics. He uses a bobcat, and a really
Cool chain hoist rig he welded up. So it has hands off loading, and positioning, and the saw does an awesome job of making steady cuts, with depth variety for whatever you like. I forget his capacities, but it's not smallish. However he has the entire works inside his barn, but the barn is HUGE.

I asked him a long time ago if the idea was to make some cash? He very quickly said no no no, he had just retired, said it was a toy to custom cut hardwoods for tinkering with in his wood shop. Now if you knew Bill, you would know he is a serious car guy, so I was surprised he didn't put in a floor lift/pit. He said later he had lost his shirt on the saw deal, and couldn't see a clear path to how you would make a living, especially in this area due to all of the competition, already established here.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Thanks for the replies. This venture is not intended to be a money maker. Grandson went to Paxton Lumber (Cinti.) to buy some 6/4 wide cherry boards for an 8' table we built. For the money, we were not 100% pleased with the quality. He is a cattle farmer and his family owns a lot of wooded property. 

Ironically, one of his distant family members, who's property adjoins his dad's farm, has an LT-40 sitting in a shed. They now live in Alabama and it has gone unused for 8-10 yrs. We're hoping to get it cheap and get it working again. 

Oh, skid steer is parked next to the sawmill and they have many tractors.
Please pray for our troops! Semper Fi!

Bob Ross (I used to be called "Doc")
www.theborkstore.com

Cool  Well there ya are. LT-40 had hydraulics if I remember right.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020