Dovetail jig dust collection
Anybody got anything that works? I have a little PC 4212 jig and I keep a cheap pair of hitachi fixed base routers to go with it. Yes I'm too lazy to finagle with setting bit depth each time. I have a Festool router I could use but then I'd have to change bits and set depth each time. As infrequently as I use this thing I'm not quick at setting it up so have the dedicated routers and settings saves me a great deal of time. A pair of hitachi router routers I can float...a pair of dedicated festools not so much!

So have any of you rigged something up??
-Marc

Have you looked at what other jigs like Leigh or Akeda use?  I have an Akeda jig that came with a dust collector attachment.  It works very well, and it's similar to the Leigh approach.  Something on the bottom of the jig which connects to your shop vac.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I have two Porter Cable fixed routers for the same reason.

I also have two dovetail fixtures which I leave one on tails and one on pins.

(I'm really lazy.)

It creates more chips than dust so I just vacuum after.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I use a dust hood on a stand not perfect buy any means but it gets the worst of the fine stuff PSI WOODWORKING big gulp will get you the info on the one I have but rockler has one they call it a mini dust hood
I use a dedicated router on mine also Porter cable I find that jig pretty simple to use and handy for drawers ETC.
I don't believe Akeda is still in business and a used jig is as rare as hen's teeth...
I found a few pictures of some mods to the Rockler jig's collector to make it work with the PC jig but, frankly, they look like more work than I'm willing to put in!

I also came across a pretty simple idea of just using some rod when you'd attach an edge guide and hanging a dust port from there. I'm thinking I'll try something like this first.
-Marc

Leigh jig with VRS (vacuum router suport) and a good vac - almost dustless . The VRS supports the router opposite the jig and has a dust pickup that slides back and forth with the router. Works well. Good YouTube video on it.
Router dust collector jig at Rockler "Installs easily onto any router baseplate that accepts a standard Porter-Cable template guide bushing" I'm just reading, don't own one.

PWW had some tips they published online found 7th down right here The guy did a lot of work IMHO, and he still has to move his attachment along to be where he is routing. My though is he either stops and moves it along, or routes one handed, with a full size router he must have a big grip. I liked the idea of an underneath tray, just not the movement. I made a small full width plywood tray, stuck a DC fitting in the middle, and attached it with pieces of clothes hangers, the wire ones. It worked pretty good. A guy came around and saw it, I sold it to him for a few bux
Big Grin I sold it right after I went with a Bosch Colt router for DT's. I got tired of balancing a big router up there. For no more work than you are doing with DT's the Colt is plenty big enough, in an easy to handle size. For the Colt dust collection is via this little plate Only issue with it, you must have a lightweight tubing or it wants to pull the router sideways, but it eliminates most of the dust and chips. If you have a couple of Colts (I thought everyone did  
Big Grin ) you could see if you can get the bits out of those PC's.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Leigh used to make (still does?) this guy:
[Image: LeighReview-DustCollector.jpg]

should work with most routers and dovetail jigs.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

[Image: RocklerDTjigDC1.jpg]