preferred substrate for thinner pieces
I am making a box of shop made veneers that are ~1/16" thick each. I used a 1/4" hardboard substrate and it has worked out fine for this box, but I wonder if there isn't something better if I want to screw hinges into the box sides or something. MDF and hardboard aren't great at holding screws. Baltic birch ought to be better, right? Maybe some QS hardwood would be best? 

That is my question: what do you think is the best ~1/4" thick substrate for smaller boxes, say no length greater than 16" or so, that will remain flat and hold screws?
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
BB is good. I veneer solid wood all the time. I can work the edge and the face is the best possible wood. Be sure to veneer both sides.
As strange as these may seem; they have application for thin boxes!
I think the problem may be finding a hinge that doesn't require thickness to attach with. Most have something around a 1/2" to 5/8" screw. Are you hinging the hardboard box? If so what did you use. I was thinking something in a plastic, like a Mylar sheet with a glue adhesive, but I don't know if one is made to attach to wood. If you have the hinge solved then BB ply, and CDX could be thin enough for 1/4", and would work

I've found the no void plies, and the multiple layers of BB ply to be strong enough for knock down boxes that are hinged, get hard use when full, and never get any love. If you can put heavy brick and block into a 3x3' cube, and treat it poorly, I'm certain it will hold some veneer when used in thinner pieces. If you were to look it over pretty well before picking, looking to avoid any edge voids, even CDX in 1/4" or 3/8" would work, not sure if that would be thin enough though.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW