Wood Owl auger bits
I've been making some staked furniture --some stools and plant stands--and so I bought a 5/8" wood Owl auger bit, which I've seen praised as being fast and smooth. The problem is that the shank is nearly 1/2 in in diameter and won't fit in my current electric drill or even in my hand brace. Do I have to send it back--or by another, bigger drill? Suggestions?
When I look at the Wood Owl website, most of their auger bits seem to have a hex shaft for use in either a brace or a quick-change chuck.  If the ones you got don't fit your chuck, why not contact them let them advise you which bits would best fit your purposes.  You can probably swap it out.
You might try something like this:
http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details...gQodN2IE5A

If all you have is a 1/4" or 3/8" drill, you may want to consider something bigger for the tool you are proposing to use. I think I would seriously consider a corded one for this purpose; more omph for the $$.