Favorite Pepper Mill Finish
I'm going to turn two walnut and maple pepper mills as Christmas gifts.  I'd like to know your favorite finish for them.

I've turned a couple of these before and used Mylan's friction finish.  I'm really happy with how they looked originally, but I'd like for the finish on these to be a bit more durable.

I would also like to darken the walnut using BLO.  It would only be on the outside, of course, but wonder if I'm going to have any problems with the odor getting into the peppercorns.  My first thought is it would not.

Would a decent spray lacquer be tough enough.  Deft?

I do not want to go so far as to do a CA glue finish, which I know would be really tough.

Thanks in advance.

Blaine
waterbourne poly
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Exactly as Steve said, don't use CA.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I have been happy with walnut oil. You can start applying it as the wetting agent for your finer sanding grits. That really cuts down on the dust.

After it fully dries, you can buff and wax it if you want a glossier finish. It wears well whether you buff it or not.

On walnut, it does seem that the finish goes dull/flat a few days into the drying process and then clears some with time. Buffing and then waxing seems to help bring out the grain.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Is the walnut oil very durable, Ivan?  The folks for whom these are intended will actually use them, so I'd like to make them stay semi-glossy or satin as long as possible.

Walnut oil is easy.  
Yes

As for the water-borne poly (acrylic), that's a possibility, but I want to explore other options.

Blaine
So far, it seems like the more we use them, the glossier they stay. Because it penetrates before drying, it seems to be a very durable finish for things that get handled a lot.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Suggest you consider GF's Wood Turner's Finish.   I was recently introduced to it by a friend who makes duck calls.  It's clear, water based and dries quickly.  I'm now using it on my bottle stoppers after trying numerous other finishes over the past couple of years.  What I really like is that its durable and doesn't chip.   It is very thin, which means applying at least 3 coats depending upon the wood. I initially sand the stoppers with multiple grits ending with 1500 grit mesh.  I apply the finish with a foam bush and because the finish is so thin, it doesn't streak.  It literally runs off the wood.    The first coat always raises the grain and  the piece goes back on the lathe for resanding.  600 grit followed by 1500 usually produces a baby butt smooth surface.  Second coat also requires resanding.  Third coat usually requires no sanding.   Good luck.

Dave
The latter is probably your best protection. Because it penetrates before drying.
Knuckle Boom Hire
I have done it two ways.

1. Deft oil and then shellac
2. Wipe on Poly

I have never seen either one since I made them 4 years ago and do not know how it wears.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.