Interior Divided Light Doors Build Along - Part 4
Here's a ink to Part 3.  OK, I'm in the home stretch on this door, with the primary remaining task being to make the molded muntins to go on top of the grid.  To begin that task, I sized some stock the same thickness as the molding on the inside edges of the door frame, about 0.78" in this case.  After that was done, I cut the pieces to final length, plus a smidge.  To do that I cut one end square and then laid it against the inside edge of the molding on one side of the door and marked that same intersection on the other side. 

[Image: VeOqHpeV1o_qllcW1vAm26CfHz1iWMnxAXcIy-eo...38-h628-no]

Then I coped the bottom of that panel on both ends, using a piece of scrap as a test piece until I had the height of the router bit adjusted to the right height.  The photo above shows how the panel just about fits in the opening.  Next I ripped the sections to final width and then molded both edges after adjusting the height of the bit again. 

[Image: fkMs-9kwxSORFqc8DQzmm_0aHDs_CDFS0ooTJJtX...38-h628-no]

Here's what I had when I was done.

[Image: XQxgtb1-B-MgoY0BuSvKNNusDVdWZOC82wiIKC98...38-h628-no]

To fit the pieces over the grid work I had to plow some dados in the bottom.  I made sure to make the width about 1/16" wider than the grid bars so that I would have some wiggle room fitting all the parts together.  Here's what the bars looked like on the bottom and as I dry fit them in place. 

[Image: zo4vNFh003ZVp6D0Zx9WEPm2hb4J8q5CzbakCOWx...38-h628-no]

The inside width of the door varied maybe a fat 1/64" over the length of the door; that's why I made the stock a smidge long.  To trim them to exact length I fit one side in place, marked the other side where it fit against the molded edge and then re-coped them. Because I was taking off such a tiny amount there was no blowout on the exist side of the cut. 

OK, I followed the same process for the vertical muntins.  Here's a piece of stock cut to length. 

[Image: b0UTRyFqgAVZ8R9dS3VGzr2D25cYGNKRfln5TNA2...38-h628-no]

After they were coped and molded I fit them in place starting at the top.  Turns out the length I cut the stock was exactly correct with no re-coping required.  That was fortunate (scary) luck.  

[Image: bx_T-6dtuAd1J2R5-uQ0EobfM9EJ9XVh5WEjTkvL...38-h628-no]

Here's what an intersection looks like:

[Image: uxmjMQC_h6yOYxPjrHfeOWLyBN0j0szYL_1jqY80...71-h628-no]

I was happily surprised how easily this all went, good Karma today.  A little glue and a lot of clamps later:

[Image: Uvp4enHwkbHnjWHMKciWB7RMQvy9I8dYlMegOOwb...38-h628-no]

And the completed door:

[Image: VKdFi-cxRLoTR2whgOK95I4DGSpamkTd8KjM8PIn...38-h628-no]

I'm really pleased with how the door came out.  On to the arched doors.  That should be a real adventure, but Joe has given me great advise and I think I understand what needs to be done.  Stay tuned for the good stuff in a few days. 

Thanks for following along and your comments. 

John
That's one really top notch job.  I enjoyed the process.  It's going to look really nice finished and installed, John.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
The work on this website amazes me everyday! The door looks fantastic!
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

Certainly did turn out nice; looking forward to seeing it after the finish is applied.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
John - That’s absolutely beautiful work.  Inspiring.  And thanks for the complete multi-part documentation.
Thank you all for the kind words.  Part of the reason for the detailed posts was to show that building a door is no different than most any wood working project; it's just a series of logical steps, and if you work carefully things tend to come out OK.  The divided lights was an extra treat.  In a way I'm happy I couldn't find a cope and stick set having the profile I needed.  That gave me a chance to show that you can still make those cope and stick cuts with a $29 bit from Grizzly and the end result is just as nice. 

After looking at the door, my wife said that I should build new interior doors for our house!  What we have now is oh so nice flat hollow core doors, some painted, some varnished.  Very high end indeed.  I need a new front door, too.  I have a feeling I'll be making a few doors in the next year or so. 

John
Great project; the door looks excellent.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(11-12-2016, 11:10 AM)Paul-in-Plymouth Wrote: John - That’s absolutely beautiful work.  Inspiring.  And thanks for the complete multi-part documentation.

What he said!  Very well done indeed.. thanks!
(11-12-2016, 02:33 PM)jteneyck Wrote: After looking at the door, my wife said that I should build new interior doors for our house!  What we have now is oh so nice flat hollow core doors, some painted, some varnished.  Very high end indeed.  I need a new front door, too.  I have a feeling I'll be making a few doors in the next year or so. 

John

Yessss.. I find that one successful project of just about any kind breeds more of that kind into the future... forever.  Once she knows I can do something well... then it's all over but the shoutin'....  The good side of that is she's not hurrying me to move on to the next project so fast anymore.
Skip