Anyone used ICF's to build a barn?
LOML has agreed to let me build a shop.

Problem is that one corner will need to be concrete because of slope of ground.

Has anyone here used Insulated Concrete Forms to make a similar wall?
Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Never saw ICF's used as foundations. Built several HfH homes using them, but all had slab or conventional concrete foundations.
It will have a concrete slab but one corner will need to hold up against about 3'of fill so I'm looking at a wall about 4' high by 10' long. The rest of the wall will be standard pole barn construction.

I was wondering if I could lay the ICF's by myself after the slab is poured.

Getting a contractor around here is a slow process so I'm looking at what I can do myself.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I used ICF's for my shops foundation.  Is more expensive then just using forms but if the space is to be heated then the insulated foundation will help.  I did it all myself and the rear foundation was 9 feet tall.   It was not hard.   I  don't know how you could do this after the slab was in place though... do it first.
WoodNET... the new safespace
ICFs are my ideal foundation wall if doing a basement etc. However they are quite pricey. In places that basements are uncommon they end up being cheaper as often you can't find anyone with the forms ad you end up building your own.
Have you considered using wood?

permanent wood foundation
When I built my workshop 40x32, I had almost a 4' fall from front to back (over the 40' side). I dug out, all the way around, for an extra wide footer (24"), then I used block to get the back even with the front and poured the block full while pouring the slab. I stair-stepped the footer and the block so I didn't need to make continuous rows of block. It worked out great. When I added my porch to this, I dug the wing walls (dropped over a foot on the 10 feet of porch, front to back) and poured the footer, wing wall and slab all at once. It has worked out great!

Additionally, I used Forta-Ferro micro fiber in my concrete mix. That stuff, IMHO, is really good stuff.

If you want to talk about it, PM me and I can show you drawings I made of the footings, blocking, etc. and I think I still have some pics of the porch pour...

Paul
I have used ICF's several times. On a couple retaining walls, about the same height as yours, and a couple smaller structures. I have also used them on a complete foundation for my son's home. It was a 2600 square foot basement with ten foot ceiling height and the adjoining 30 x 36 foot garage.

They were incredibly easy to work with. My wife and I stacked the complete basement in a weekend when the son was on his honeymoon. We used rebar every course on the horizontal and 24" on center for the verticals.

The basement was not a simple rectangle, it had several bump outs including one for a 45 degree bay window. It also had a couple egress windows and a stairwell up to the garage. It was really simple if you followed the manufacturer's instructions. You will like them.

Tim