Fios
Does anyone here use Fios for computer, phone, and TV. My cable company last year did away with the Yes network and I am a huge Yankee fan so I suffered some what. I do not want to go another year without. I am thinking of switching. This is the fiber optics cable stuff.

If you do what are some of the advantages and disadvantages??  What does it take to get installed. Are there options I should be aware of and would want that you got and now like??  I am sure this maybe called other things in different parts of the country. I am in NJ. My old cable company is Comcast the ripoff artists. Thanks in advance.
John T.
FIOS is great.  Had the triple play at my old house in MA and now have internet only at new house in VA.  Install takes a while as they have to run new fiber to the house on install a terminal box, battery in the basement.  Only draw back is it is pricey.
I am in NJ as well and have had fios since before they even offered TV service!  The reliability is fantastic-- in both my old apt and now my house, it's rarely down.  I used to have a lot of trouble with my cable modem (cablevision) just stop working.  
Just like any of the cable companies, they get you with the double/triple play, then prices go up after 1 or 2 years.

A year or so ago i upgraded my dvr-- any other tv in the house just has a small box, but full dvr capability-- pause, rewind, watch recorded programs..etc.  The main living room dvr has 6 tuners built in, so can record many programs at once.  

Colin
I used to have Cablevision.  FIOS is much better.  A better interface and more channels.  I just upgraded my DVD (a godsend if you want to skip commercials, or if the shows are at an inconvenient time).  The new DVD will handle several simultaneous recordings (the older version, just one).

But forget the initial price offering.  It will slowly meander up to about $160.00 to $200.00 per month.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have FIOS and love it. I don't use the phone, but the Internet connection is great I paid for the 100MB up and down service as I work from home and do a lot of video conferencing. The TV is great too and I came over from DirecTV.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
FIOS has an ap that lets you watch anything (live or DVR) on your smart phone or iPad (though Comcast may offer this too).  This works as long as you are connected to your home FIOS router. Very useful when in the shop or grilling outside.

We were an early adopter to FIOS from Comcast. Recollection is that the installation was neat and fairly quick, although it was years ago. Reliability has been excellent - one service call in about 10 years when the optical interface crapped out. I recently upgraded to the Quantum Gateway plan, 75 mb I think, and it's plenty for our purposes. On the weekends with the kids and grand-kids we might have ten devices accessing the system with no noticeable problems.

The Quantum Gateway level also has the capability of having a Guest Wifi log-on. Those users can only access the internet and can't access other network folders, printers, etc.
my MIL had fios.  I was never very impressed.  But I haven't used it in a while.  I guess it really depends on the whole chain, and they could certainly cheap out at the trunk
We are on year 3 of FIOS.  I know this because they tried to bend us over backwards when our 2 year initial deal was over. I didn't want to sign a 2 year agreement, but no agreement, no discount. Now I've got a $240 early termination fee hanging over my head. 
Upset They did bump my innerweb speed from 25mbps to 50 at no extra cost.

Technically FIOS is fairly good.  The installer was very knowledgable and had no trouble getting me switched over from Comcast.  I've got a box that is going wonky, so I need to call them about a replacement and will do that soon enough.

Typically every time you interact with them, you get an email confirmation of your interaction until my latest "negotiation" with them. I'm hoping it was just a spurious anomaly as I liked getting those confirmations.

Were it not for the little tet-a-tet I went through with them with the recent agreement I would give them a strong A rating.  Now I'll give them a B to B-

You will be provided a router/modem that provides Ethernet and wireless and must be used to interface with your TV boxes.  I've recently turned off the wi-fi on mine and provided a DMZ to a router I had which has DD-WRT on it, which gives me more control that I understand. I'm still working on some technical details, but it's been working fine.

I'm not unhappy with it, which is a lot more than I can say about Comcast who I was with before.
chris
(11-21-2016, 02:25 PM)doobes Wrote: We are on year 3 of FIOS.  I know this because they tried to bend us over backwards when our 2 year initial deal was over. I didn't want to sign a 2 year agreement, but no agreement, no discount. Now I've got a $240 early termination fee hanging over my head. 
Upset They did bump my innerweb speed from 25mbps to 50 at no extra cost.

Technically FIOS is fairly good.  The installer was very knowledgable and had no trouble getting me switched over from Comcast.  I've got a box that is going wonky, so I need to call them about a replacement and will do that soon enough.

Typically every time you interact with them, you get an email confirmation of your interaction until my latest "negotiation" with them. I'm hoping it was just a spurious anomaly as I liked getting those confirmations.

Were it not for the little tet-a-tet I went through with them with the recent agreement I would give them a strong A rating.  Now I'll give them a B to B-

You will be provided a router/modem that provides Ethernet and wireless and must be used to interface with your TV boxes.  I've recently turned off the wi-fi on mine and provided a DMZ to a router I had which has DD-WRT on it, which gives me more control that I understand. I'm still working on some technical details, but it's been working fine.

I'm not unhappy with it, which is a lot more than I can say about Comcast who I was with before.

All these companies have you over the barrel. Either the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing or they try to suck you into more things you do not need or want to raise the price. I just had a spat with SiriusXM radio for my truck. Every year I have to do a dance with them to get them to renew at a promotional rate. If they refuse I threaten to cancel them because their normal rate is almost 3X that. They eventually cave in because I am a valued customer (BS) 

Comcast keeps raising the rates every year and I get less for my money. I will more than likely switch to Fios this summer. Have to watch the new Baby Bombers.
John T.