Looking for ideas/recommendations for cabinet heaters
Hi everyone,
I'm going to be making a cabinet for glues and finishes that I want to gently heat for the winter. I know this has been discussed before, but most of the suggestions for a heat source were some kind of light bulb. I would really like something more reliable, because it never fails the bulb burns out, and you don't know how long it's been out... I suppose any heating element could burn out, but maybe some folks have had luck going a different rout.

I did some searching and found a few small enclosure heaters designed for instrumentation cabinets, and some reptile terrarium heating pads, but I don't have much experience with either.  Any other ideas/first hand experiences?

By the way, my plan is to head over to the Restore and grab an old kitchen base cabinet, insulate it, put a top on it, and build it into a miter saw station, since my saw is currently on the metal stand it came on. I would build my own, but being honest with myself I don't have time...  I'll do a build thread when I get to it. 

Thanks!!
Benny

When I had my darkroom which had a dryer cabinet for the film, I used filtered intake air for the home built cabinet.  I placed a electronics air circulator in front of a filter to gently circulate the air.  For film it was preferred.  Nearly as fast as heat, it did not curl the film like heat did.  

I think you might be satisfied with the results from such as setup.  You can always add heat afterwards which will work better with the circulation anyhow.  

Also by turning on the fan before hand it forces the dust out of the cabinet.  I cut filter material from 3M Filtrete furnace filters.  

They are called "cabinet cooling fans" and are used for electronics.  They are low powered and very, very quiet.  And cheap.  https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Coolin...=306945011

If you want to add heat you can put a light bulb in front of the fan.  That way you have instant knowledge of when the bulb goes dead.  And even if it did the circulation will do the drying.

NEVER use an exhause fan.  It will suck in mounds of dust.  The positive atmosphere through filters is the way to keep dust out.  It worked for photo labs for roughly 100 years.  It will work for a drying room too.

My dark room (for prints) also has a filtered intake using a box fan and a furnace filter.  I am using that as a paint booth.  Having the air blow in also eliminates any explosion hazard.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Ok, 2 lights, each with 2 bulbs. Seriously you won't find cheaper, and with less of a fire hazard. Fairly well insulated box, the single bulb kept my freezable stuff in the old barn usable, and the barn was totally uninsulated. SW Ohio has more than it's share of sub zero nights, and freezing is a pretty regular thing, not a Wisconsin, but it sure ain't Florida.
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I live in the Pacific North Wet --AKA Washington -- and have Golden Rod heaters in my safes. Keeps the temperature constant, dehumidifies the air, inexpensive to operate, and the last ones lasted 10+ years.  Available through Midway:

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1138359...-110v-gold
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1138614...r-rod-110v

Might also be available at Cabela's.

As another poster wrote good idea to go with an insulated box/cabinet. Weather-striping on the doo/lid probably would help.
I never heard of the Goldenrod but I did have rust form on my stainless steel handgun and my Glock which were in my safe.  I'm going to get one (cheaper on Amazon.com).  I guess I will have to drill a hole in the back of the safe.  (Cut off the plug, drill a small hole and then put on a new plug???).

400 series stainless steel will get rust spots, just enough to scar the polished surface and reduce my trade in value.  Bummer.

https://www.amazon.com/Goldenrod-725761-...th=1&psc=1
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I think a Goldenrod "style" rod heater would work fine.
When I built the small tool chest below, I made the drawers an inch short to allow for a Goldenrod style rod heater in the back for rust prevention.
I think it draws about 12 watts, and heats up to about 140 degrees.
When I lived on my Wife's sailboat at a dock in Oregon, I made a step for the dock, with 2 golden rod style heaters inside. The dock would ice up, but not the step.

[Image: DSCN2642.jpg]"
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
+2 on the Golden Rod dehumidifiers for safes I have several one in my gun safe one in my tool cabinet. Gander Mountain, Dicks Sporting goods, Bass Pro, Runnings and I believe Tractor Supply all have them.
Thanks for the replies everyone. So those goldenrods get that hot? I have a 120v electric thermostat that I'm using with a halogen bulb now, so wiring thru that will keep the air temp in a reasonable range. I think I have a small muffin fan somewhere I can use for circulation. Seems like that's the best way to prevent hot/cold spots.

I plan on getting a kitchen base cabinet and a couple sheets of pink foam board insulation and sealing it up pretty good. Or maybe some of the stuff with the foil backing on it... not positive yet. Gotta check prices and see what's best for the backs of the doors.

Again, thanks for the replies!
Benny

Cat bed heater is what I'd use. I have a cat and have them handy
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
Another great idea. Thought about a reptile tank heater too but I wonder how well they work at heating a whole space and not just the material touching them.
Benny