Which 1/2" power drill?
My new Woodowl auger bit won't fit in my old Craftsman drill, so I'm thinking of buying a bigger. I know nothing about hand drills, so I could use some advice. What would be a decent one that I might be able to find used? There are a number of used Milwaukee drills on the Bay. (Some of which have been heavily used.) Should I buy one of those? Or something else? Actually, since I'll be using it only intermittently (such as drilling holes to make staked furniture), should I get a cordless drill?
Buying a used power drill is sort of a crap shoot to me.  You really don't have any idea how much it's been used or how it's been treated.  If you still decide to go that way, get a corded Milwaukee or Dewalt.  For occasional use, you won't have to worry about whether a battery is charged, or if a battery dies, having to replace it because it might be obsolete.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Will you ever be drilling holes in concrete? If you think you will, buy a reconditioned 1/2" corded hammer drill. You will be able to use it as either a regular drill or a hammer drill.

reconditioned hammer drill
It's tough to beat a Milwaukee 1/2" Hole Shooter corded drill.
It has enough torque to spin a 5 gal. bucket of drywall mud like
a merry-go-round.

A brand new one can be bought for $125 or so.
There was a time when I would have said Milwaukee, hands down. But I'm not sure the new ones are up to snuff. But a used one that hasn't been beat would be great. So would a Bosch, but my top choice would be Metabo.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I don't plan on drilling into concrete, but it seems that most of the used 1/2 drills available are hammer drills. I assume this is a feature that can be switched on and off.
Yes it is.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Not sure what size bit you need to spin. If a large one, I have found old Black and Decker, and Skill slow speed (350 - 650 rpm) 1/2" or 5/8" drills, at yard sales from $5 - $30.
Mine are 50+ years old.
The old ones were built like tanks.
I wouldn't buy an old pistol grip drill. But for a "D" handle drill I would.
Hold on tight when using. They can take you for a ride!
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Milwaukee
I have gone through two DeWalt 1/2" drills.  When I started looking for my third drill, I looked for the highest amp rating.  At the time, the Milwaukee had the highest rating of those available in the Dallas area.  IIRC, Milwaukee also makes a 1/2" drill with a lower rating similar to the compition so you have to pay attention.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(11-15-2016, 08:55 AM)overland Wrote: I don't plan on drilling into concrete, but it seems that most of the used 1/2 drills available are hammer drills. I assume this is a feature that can be switched on and off.

Don't worry about the hammer drill part and never choose a drill with it over another that might be better that doesn't have it. The hammer drill funcion doesn't do much in concrete. If you need to drill concrete you need a real drill that uses SDS bits.

The milwaukee is always my first choice. Now I had a bunch of points to spend at Sears... There was a 1/2" drill on sale there for $45. Picked it up with some other stuff for a spare mixing drill. It works quite well though the chuck is garbage. Very good for home use.