Which 1/2" power drill?
Milwaukee #0234-1

Ed
You didn't say what size bit you're planning on using, but I'll assume with an auger bit speed is going to be slower.

I'd like the Makita.
600 rpm, non-variable speed.  Good torque and control.
[Image: ca2f4022-2544-49cb-bc14-05b9cdfb6cbe_400_compressed.jpg]
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-8-5-Am.../202718424

Bosh or Milwaukee- both good too.

I prefer Makita.
I could use it for 5/8, 3/4 and 1" wood bits. That's what I'm thinking about right now. Nothing much beyond that.
(11-15-2016, 04:35 AM)Herb G Wrote: It's tough to beat a Milwaukee 1/2" Hole Shooter corded drill.
It has enough torque to spin a 5 gal. bucket of drywall mud like
a merry-go-round.

A brand new one can be bought for $125 or so.

(11-15-2016, 07:05 AM)fredhargis Wrote: There was a time when I would have said Milwaukee, hands down. But I'm not sure the new ones are up to snuff. But a used one that hasn't been beat would be great. So would a Bosch, but my top choice would be Metabo.

I agree with Fred here, 20 years ago and a Milwaukee was the go to drill, now it's just TaiChinese same as the rest of the pack, and for that reason if you aren't going to make a living drilling holes. I'd head over to HF, and buy one of these 30 days to take it back, you no like. Try that at Sears, HD, Lowes, Amazon. Make sure when you get it, you are ready to go. Drill out all the holes you need. Probability is very high it will be the last 1/2" drill you'll ever buy.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
To be honest, I was looking at used American-made stuff. I could get an old Milwaukee 0234-1, made in the U.S., for about $50. Or there's a still older Commercial Craftsman, reversible but with only one speed (600 rpm) available locally for even less. I hadn't thought of HF.
I have this HF one.  Works well lots of torque. Not used daily only when need extra size.  Great at slow speed.

Bob
(11-15-2016, 08:56 PM)overland Wrote: To be honest, I was looking at used American-made stuff. I could get an old Milwaukee 0234-1, made in the U.S., for about $50. Or there's a still older Commercial Craftsman, reversible but with only one speed (600 rpm) available locally for even less. I hadn't thought of HF.

While Milwaukee has shifted production of the 0234-1 to China.....the model has remained unchanged since at least the late 70's.

Wouldn't bother me to buy one......but there's nothing wrong with mine.
Big Grin

Ed
(11-16-2016, 07:48 PM)bob-t Wrote: I have this HF one.  Works well lots of torque. Not used daily only when need extra size.  Great at slow speed.

Bob

I'll second that. Been using mine to mix sheetrock mud in 5 gallon buckets.
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
(11-16-2016, 10:26 PM)EdL Wrote: While Milwaukee has shifted production of the 0234-1 to China.....the model has remained unchanged since at least the late 70's.

Wouldn't bother me to buy one......but there's nothing wrong with mine.  
Big Grin

Ed

Yup. There wasn't much still made here when TTI bought Milwaukee and really not much has changed since. 

Very wonder why all the 12v tools other than DW use basically the same battery and why the bosch ones can be modified to work  in milwaukee tools? That's because they are made by TTI. Also ever wonder why the bosch 12v sawsall is virtually identical to the milwaukee? Bosch doesn't make allot of their stuff themselves anymore.
(11-16-2016, 07:48 PM)bob-t Wrote: I have this HF one.  Works well lots of torque. Not used daily only when need extra size.  Great at slow speed.

Bob

I have that same drill, by the looks of it. It's a Sears that I bought new in 1973. I swear I have fallen asleep waiting for it to make one revolution, but it can just about move a house. Slow..............unstoppable.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW