Access door to attic???
Can I cut an access door in the garage to get to the attic space??  I would put drop down stairs for it??
John T.
I don't know the specifics, but I believe there are building code 'rules' about penetrating that fire resistant ceiling if there is attic access to living space adjacent to the garage. In other words, if the attic is shared with the rest of the house, you may have to build a wall with drywall of a certain fire rating to protect that space. Assuming that's essentially correct, and that you want to keep it compliant with the building codes.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
My daughter just had a house built and they cut an attic access in her garage for stairs
If you proceed, be careful with the loads you put up there. Most garage ceilings weren't designed to handle much weight.
I'm no expert, but my understanding is that drop down stairs that are code for garages are a monstrosity.  Self closing is the biggest problem with them
Install the wide one- you'll be glad you did.

You can also block it open about 3" or more in the summer- lets the air draft up into the attic..
Physically? Yes you can.
By code? Depends on the age of the house and your local bldg codes.
Regardless, if you do it, get a fire rated access door, they're not expensive, a large one runs about $150.
That's where 99% of attic stairs are located. The others are inside where it's either impractical to put one in the garage or there is no garage. 

I don't like attic stairs that are on the interior  of the house. They are an eyesore and hard to a seal.  

We have a hatch in the garage and I told loml that there would not be a ladder and nothing stored in the attic.
(11-15-2016, 03:07 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Can I cut an access door in the garage to get to the attic space??  I would put drop down stairs for it??

Check with your city/county building and codes--if you want to be legal.  Every locality has their own rules.

Vic
“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen,”. Winston Churchill.
(11-16-2016, 12:38 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:      I don't like attic stairs that are on the interior  of the house. They are an eyesore and hard to a seal.  

We have one of the imported insulated/latching doors inside.  I don't think it looks too bad, and it doesn't leak air.  Definitely looks like it's from Europe though.  I really need to replace the one in the garage.  Probably should get a fire rated door.  I have the one from inside the house, but it's not insulated and isn't fire rated.