Adirondack chair questions.
I have used northern white cedar for Adirondack chairs for about 15 years. It is cost effective, locally available. It is also soft. I have a friend that has a pair that are about 10 years old- refreshed the finish every couple of years and he says they are just as good as new
I have varnished some, painted more than a few, but really prefer oil based deck stain
I think you are over thinking the "too soft" issue. These are outdoor chairs. Meant to be used. Western red cedar is less soft than what I use. You will be fine. Oil stain, refresh as needed. Enjoy.
But that is just my opinion

I would agree with the white oak since it will not be painted. I have done them out of SYP (southern yellow pine) with some paint and clear coats which have lasted for several years outside so far.

As for design, I prefer the modern looks to the classics and like this one best which I did a variation of.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/ori...57ddfe.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LodZ9etRvTw/S_...dack+3.jpg
A friend in PEI,Canada makes about 60 Adirondack chairs every tear to sell. Last year he and I made 6 during a visit. He uses spruce but if only build a few he'd use red cedar.

He does not finish them, but allows them to weather naturally.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

I make mine from pine, but most sit under the patio. This one sits outside all year round in the rain and sun. It shows no signs of falling apart. I guess it's only 2 years old though?  Another pine chair I made lasted about 5 years before a joint failure.

[Image: Adriondack%20chairs%202%20002_zpsr8arkl03.jpg]
[Image: Adriondack%20chairs%202%20001_zpsh6wxsqh9.jpg]

It does have about 4 coats of clear coat on it, and 3/8" rubber feet.
I make mine from Cypress; the mill gets about $1.20/BF for 1" thick air-dried 6" or 8" rough sawn boards.
It typically finishes out to 7/8"; 3/4" no problem.
I use 5/4 milled to 1" for the legs.
I "paint" construction adhesive on the feet where it contacts earth.
They last plenty long.

[Image: 884002-438x.jpg]
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
"Your guy is putting too many conditions on this; clear finish, durable, cheap. . . . ."

Agree.  Pick any two.
(11-24-2016, 11:55 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: I make mine from Cypress; the mill gets about $1.20/BF for 1" thick air-dried 6" or 8" rough sawn boards.
It typically finishes out to 7/8"; 3/4" no problem.
I use 5/4 milled to 1" for the legs.
I "paint" construction adhesive on the feet where it contacts earth.
They last plenty long.

[Image: 884002-438x.jpg]

My neck is sore!!
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk